Sunday, January 08, 2006

Super Single Ladies

I grew up having wonderful memories of some of the super nuns who have left a deep impression on me. One of them was my secondary school principal, Sister Adrianne of Convent Green Lane, Penang. She was someone who would remind you of the movie characters in "The singing Nun" or "Sister ACT". Sister Adrianne was very capable. Best of all she was strict, yet compassionate; prim and proper yet she could let her hair down at appropriate times, stern yet accommodating. The students and staff loved her, with many secretly wanting to emulate her. Sister Adrainne was versatile. She was the guest singer at our school's talentime contest. We students screamed in support of her as she ran around hitting hockey balls adroitly during interschool staff matches. We proudly waved to her as she zipped around on her scooter.


Later when I studied at the University of Alberta, I was under the tutelage of Sister Michelle who taught Canadian Literature. Like Sister Adrianne, Sister Michelle was pretty and feminine. She was one of the most excellent professors I had met at the University of Alberta. I wrote a poem for her which I would like to share with readers and which was written on 8th March 1992, some 24 years ago!

ODE TO AN ENGLISH PROF

I bleed when I write
Yet must put up with the fight
Staying up all night
Writing what I feel is bright
Though I may not be in the right
or always win the fight
My predicament in sight
Despite all my hairs turning white
Feelings soar like a kite
Emotion both heavy and light
But harder still, in black and white

Writing is such pain
Yet keeps me from becoming insane
Before my courage starts to wane
Persevere even when slain
In order to learn and gain

Thanks to your remarkable teaching
It enlightens my reading and writing
Helps me find literature more alluring
In the final process of discovering
That the above pain is worth enduring!

P.S. This poem is dedicated to Professor B. Mitchell
in appreciation of her helping the "budding poet"
(ahem!) fall more deeply in love with literature!

Gan Chau

No comments: