Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Unforgettable Salesman

Just after his one-man art exhibition, eldest brother Kee Yong and I roamed around Holland Village. Since we had different things to buy, we agreed to meet an hour later for lunch at a Chinese restaurant. When brother met up with me, he was very excited, "Sis, come with me. Let's go to this gallery! I saw my painting on sale!"

During his two weeks' exhibition, a local artist had bought one of his autumn paintings. He came three times to the exhibition, each time, staring at the painting which he finally bought. Hence my brother was thrilled when he saw the painting up for sale at thrice the price it had been bought.!

When we entered the gallery, an amiable middle aged man greeted us. Apparently the bearded artist was not around. My brother pretended to ask why the painting was so expensive. "Oh! You can hear music coming from the trees!" declared the salesman proudly and confidently.

"But I can't hear any music", said my brother, pulling his right ear lobe and drawing nearer to the painting.

"Oh, the artist, Kam Kee Yong, is also a good musicican as well. You know.... he is very yaya papaya... people said the SSO (Singapore Symphony Orchestra) wanted to invite him to perform, but he turned the SSO down!" continued the salesman with so much seriousness in his voice and demeanour, that I had a hard time controlling my laughter. I quickly turned away, pretending to look at some other pieces of art, lest I gave the game away by bursting out in laughter!

"He's also a Cultural Medallion Award Winner - a rare Singaporean who is gifted in Art and Music. You buy Kam Kee Yong's beautiful painting... sure make money...very good investment!"

"Since he's so famous, you must have met Kam Kee Yong personally?" asked my brother.

"Sure... sure... who doesn't know Kam Kee Yong?" replied the salesman.

"Let me think about it... we'll come back later", said my brother, smiling widely.

We quickly made our exit before we gave the game away with our laughter.
My brother and I burst out laughing so hard that my empty stomach soon became full with laughter. Lunch on that pleasant Saturday afternoon seemed to be extra tasty for us. I was dying to ask brother why he did not reveal he was Kam Kee Yong himself. It would be very interesting to watch the salesman's expression. But I guess in life, certain things are better left as they are, so that we can all live in continual bliss of ignorance, and of acceptance of people's weaknesses. Didn't Shakespeare say that the world is a stage and we are all but actors and actresses on this big stage of life? Oops! I hope the salesman or his bearded artist brother never get to read this blog!

Gan Chau

No comments: