Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Conditioning of Our Minds!

Husband: Oh, come on.
Wife: Leave me alone!
Husband: It won't take long.
Wife: I won't be able to sleep afterwards.
Husband: I can't sleep without it.
Wife: Why do you think of things like this in the middle of the night?
Husband: Because I'm Hot.
Wife: You get hot at the darndest times.
Husband: If you love me I wouldn't have to beg you.
Wife: If you love me you'd be more considerate.
Husband: You don't love me anymore.
Wife: Yes I do, but let's forget it for tonight.
Husband: Please...come on
Wife: Alright, I'll do it.
Husband: What's the matter? Need a flashlight?
Wife: I can't find it.
Husband: Oh, for heaven's sake, feel for it!
Wife: There! Are you satisfied?
Husband: Oh, yes.
Wife: Is it up far enough?
Husband: Oh, that's good.
Wife: Now go to bed and from now on when you want the window open, do it yourself.

What was I thinking? Dirty mind? And blushed red-hot. This joke should be x-rated!

The above was sent to me via email by one of my buddies, Richard. Together with James and Moshin, we have called ourselves the "Gang of Four". It is great that after so many years since our graduation from the University of Alberta, we are now still in contact with one another via email. Thank God for computers! Richard's email made me recall this singer at the Mezzanine in Mandarin Hotel at Orchard Road. It is one of my favourite haunts where sometimes I meet friends for a drink. I always enjoy the various bands that perform at the Mandarin Hotel. One of the singers, with long hair, sang "Shanghai Bund" in English and the wordings were something like this.

Long one, short one,
Long one, short one,
which one do you want?
I want long,
You want short,
Together, we both shall have our fun!

After singing the above to the tune of Shanghai Bund, the singer addressed the audience, "Hey! What are you guys thinking ah? I am referring to my long hair and his short hair! Ah, you dirty-minded fellows!" The crowd roared.

It is interesting how our minds are often conditioned by knowledge and past experiences.

I guess, in jokes and situations like this, it is alright. However, it would not be so advantageous to us if we become clouded in our viewpoints because of past hurts, past unhapy events and past traumatic experiences. Sad is the man who says, "I will never ever get married again, because my first girlfriend has broken my heart!" It would be great if his experience has made him more appreciative of the good points of the next girlfriend he has fallen in love with. Or consider one of my uncles.
His parents did not support him and left him to struggle when he was growing up. Despite that, my uncle still succeeded to rise through rank and file to become a Chief Clerk with Shell. Despite his wealth, he refused to be more supportive of his six children who literally had to beg him for pocket money and school fees. Most of them did not complete their education and were left running wild. It would be better if my uncle had said to himself, "Mm... I have gone through so much hell. I will not allow my children to go through what I went through. Education is important and I must at least give them basic secondary school education". Towards the end of his life, Uncle became a lonely and broken man, as all his wealth was squandered by his mistress; my aunty became insane because of stress and my cousins detested their father, refusing to support him as he had never supported the family.
If only uncle could turn back the clock... sigh.

Our somewhat fragile minds are also conditioned by what we hear and see sometimes. We are sometimes easily influenced by the gossips we hear without bothering to establish the truth or reality. Papa often reminded us, "If you have no time to find out the truth, shut up! Don't help to add more fuel to the fire". Let us continue to keep our minds supple - to be able to discard, to re-assess and to discern fresh horizons. Let us laugh at ourselves when we sometimes become absently mindedly silly and not be too defensive of our mistakes. After all, it is human to err, and to forgive ourselves divine. This is important because some people cannot forgive themselves even when others have forgiven them. We can then set ourselves free to learn and to experience new things every day. Like the Chinese saying. "Huo dao lau; xue dao lau." We learn till we go six feet under.

Gan Chau

No comments: