Friday, May 18, 2007

My Article Featured in Malaysiakini!

Gosh! When I saw my sitemeter I was surprised to find all the hits from http://malaysiakini.com!

I clicked and there was my article, "A Young Girl's Memories of the May 13th Riots". I had written a kind of historical essay on my experiences. Amongst my siblings, I am the one blessed with an elephant memory. Though I did know who Harun was at age of 12, I remembered his name being mentioned by my relative. I remember his name because it sounded something like the name of my best classmate, Har Loon.

At first I thought one of my articles was featured in www.tomorrow.sg. I am surprised that my article would generate interest. When I shared this with my colleague, Aveline, she laughed, "Choo, you said you don''t understand politics, but now your articles have been featured in Online Citizen and Malaysiakini.

On reflecting, I am grateful that none of my family members or relatives were hurt during the riots. I hope that those whose family members were hurt or killed during the riots would forgive and not dwell on the past. To err is human, to forgive divine. If we were to dwell on the past, it is for the purpose of analysing and reflecting over what had taken place, so that we could be objective and learn from our mistakes. I believe this is what Dr. Kua has done by his research, and I hope the Malaysian government would not impede his book from being shared with the public and the world at large.

No comments: