Sunday, May 25, 2008

Colour, Music, Dance!

 

Ed Hearn, Anne Barab with the MAD Kung Fu Dancers
 

Some members from Division U with Ed Hearn and Anne Barab
 

With Watanaluck and his lovely and supportive wife
 

The talented Salsa dancers led by Gea Ban Peng and Hong Cher (in red)

Wow! What a colourful opening! Mr. Abdullah Tarmugi arrived to be greeted by much pomp and splendour! The Speaker of Parliament humorously and humbly told the audience that entering the toastmasters' arena to deliver a speech is like entering a lion's den. He also said that Speakers of Parliament don't speak to much laughter. After the lively opening ceremony there was a plenary session by Ed Hearn, 2006, World Champion of Public Speaking. It was an enlightening session as audience learnt more about the fine art of public speaking, and I am sure all of us are inspired by his speech on "The Courage to Try".

After a sumptuous buffet lunch, there were many workshops to attend. I chose "Personal Branding Starts with Me!" by Dr. Andrew Goh. It was impossible to have a shut eye even after a heavy lunch, for Dr. Goh was really humorous. He made the audience laugh continuously. As I am not proficient in humorous speeches, I chose the workshop on "Humour in Action" by Damrong Watanaluck, the first runner up in 2008 District 80 Humorous Speech Contest. We are full of admiration for despite Thai being his mother tongue, he speaks so well and humorously. Watanaluck asked for volunteers to say something funny for three minutes and since there was a prize for every volunteer, I raised my hand. It is my schoolgirl habit. Suddenly I would become brave just to win a prize!!!

During the last workshop, "Dialogue with Ed Hearn", we were able to ask Ed Hearn many questions on his competition. I was touched when Ed shared a lot about his father. Ed shared how, despite being illiterate, his father had brought up his children with much love and wisdom. I could identify with Ed because I too have a most wonderful father who had taught me so many things in life. After the workshop, some of us stayed back to listen to Ed's sharing. He was generous with his time. It has inspired me for I will definitely work harder to polish up my public speaking skills. Frankly, after completing 58 speech projects, I had thought I was going to retire from public speaking. I guess I will have to keep on speaking to lubricate my wheels of eloquence lest they become rusty!

We had an 8 course gala dinner and were entertained by toastmasters from Hongkong and Macau as well as our Thai counterparts. The local toastmasters put up a beautiful Salsa Dance demonstration, led by Mr. Gea Ban Peng and his partner, Hong Cher. It was such a great and memorable evening of colour, music and dance!

If you regret not joining a toastmasters' club, please fee free to email me or call me on the phone! For my overseas readers, check with the club closest to your home or office. Let us get started! Join the Toastmasters' club and fill your life with words, music and dance!

Gan Chau

Posted by Picasa

No comments: