Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Wind, Blessed Wind!

 

The lovely flower windmill spinning furiously outside my apartment.

Yesterday was the coolest day I had ever experienced in Singapore! What a joy to feel the cool breeze on your cheeks and to step on the cold granite tiles in the apartment. How refreshing to splash almost icy cold water when I washed my face!

The unusual weather reminded me of the winter season in Taiwan or spring time in Canada. I casually mentioned to my tenant, Jasmin, that the other time I experienced such weather and perhaps an even better one because there was no drizzle, was on the day of papa's funeral in Penang. Jasmin shared that he had seen such similar weather at funerals of good people. I remember how during papa's funeral, there was no necessity for anyone to carry umbrellas because the sky was cloudy, yet there was no rain. There was only the wind which was blowing at the right pace as if to comfort everyone who loved my papa and mourned for him.

For almost two years I had rented an apartment in Toa Payoh and literally perspired the whole day long, for both the morning and afternoon sunlight would stream right in. I felt as if I was in a sauna the whole day long!! It was evidenced by the constant change of clothes.! I guess God knows my needs so that when I bought this apartment five minutes after viewing, I was delighted when I realised that it is usually so windy here.

Hence, when my manager, Aveline, asked me to move back to Toa Payoh as our company, Dennis Wee Group has relocated from Dhoby Ghaut to Toa Payoh, I decided to stay put.

"Choo, maybe Toa Payoh, has better feng shui, " asserted Aveline.

"The wind is my blessing, Aveline", I replied.

It has always been my practice to live near my work place as I suffer from motion sickness, due to my chronic ear problems, especially when I am in a car. It is better for me to take the huge bus or mrt. Little India is so centrally located, and as it is just 40 seconds walk to the MRT, I can easily zoom around Singapore with my BMW - bus, mrt and a pair of strong legs lah! I am so happy living here. I often see some Indians sleeping on the floor and it is a constant reminder for me to be contented and grateful to God. I am glad for the opportunity to learn Tamil and Hindi and also for the opportunity to show some kindness whenever I can ...giving away clothes, blankets, food, etc. to the needy Indians who may have lost their jobs or have employers who owe them wages.

Recently I helped my neighbour to rent out his flat and viewers were pleasantly surprised by the wind that would come into the apartment. I proudly showed them the flower windmill outside my apartment because it would be spinning furiously.

For the first time I slept without turning on the fan last night. Wow, if this continues, we will help to bring down the cost of electricity and also, help to save the planet.

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: