Thursday, February 16, 2006

Glimpses of Campus Life (1)

I decided to sign up for a Creative Poetry Writing Course at the University of Alberta, Edmonton. To apply for the course, students also had to submit a portfolio of some of their written poems. When I met Professor Swettenham, he lamented that my poems were very Chinese. He said, "You've put me in a difficult position. Your poems are not good, but they are not bad either. This is the first time I have an Asian student in class. I have to warn you... I will tear your poems into pieces with my criticisms... you must be able to take it and not cry!" I told the professor I would be glad to accept his challenge.

Almost during every class, Professor Swettenham would harp on my being very Chinese in my poetry writing. I wondered how this could be so. Yes, I am a Chinese but I had never studied Chinese in school. Perhaps he meant the thoughts, and not the style to be very Chinese? For some reason, I noticed that the professor particularly liked one Canadian student's poems which were constantly strewn with four letter words! I wondered if the four letter words made the poems appear more cool and contemporary in style?

Students had to submit 15 copies of their poems and placed them in a tray on a table which was placed just at the doorway of Professor Swettenham's office. Hence a set of different poems by 15 students were collected prior to the class, so that students could pre-read and be ready to give their comments in class.

One day, out of exasperation, I decided to put my professor to the test. I went to the library, and borrowed a book on African poetry. I plagiarised three poems by three different writers and submitted them as my own works. I told all my classmates about the African poems and we eagerly awaited Professor Swettehnham's
reactions and criticisms. "Ideas are better this time, but the style is still very Chinese!" Everyone roared with laughter!

I wonder if the three African poets also had some Chinese blood in them! Thanks to them, my confidence in poetry writing was restored.

Gan Chau

No comments: