Thursday, February 09, 2006

Have Faith Will Complete Half Marathon!

My friend, Carrie and I often enjoyed participating in 10 km runs. When you particpate in such events it will kind of force you to exercise.

After the second drinks station, we were surprised that the end was not in sight. It looked like we were heading more northwards towards Changi Airport. Drinks stations were usually placed at every 5 km apart. We asked the police officer on duty if it was a 10 km run and to our surprise he said it was a 20 km run! Not wanting to give up, although we were quite exhausted, we prayed for strength and decided to continue till completion.

Hence when my friends invited me to participate in their 21st Neptune Orient Lines' Anniversary 21 km run, I did not hestitate. I joined the veterans' section and came in 12th position, winning a gold medal souvenir as well as a $50/- cash prize!

Carrie and I decided to join the Mobil Half Marathon Race. Again when my school principal heard of my intention to join the half marathon, she called me to her office. "Sure you can cope? If you are too tired, do not complete the run. We do not want to lose a good teacher like you, Ms. Kam", advised my kind boss. Carrie and I both completed the 24 km run in 1 hour 48 minutes. This would be my last race in public events.

I know that if I do share with others about all the vertical and horizontal marathons, there would definitely be some doubting Thomases. I have my medals and certificates to prove, but these are not so important. Eye witness accounts are more important. However, more vital to me is that if a non-sporty, short-legged, un-athletic looking person like me can run, anyone also can, if only he believes.

Gan Chau

No comments: