Friday, April 27, 2007

Ganchau - Licorice Kam?

When I recently went back to Penang, the question of my blog name was raised during a conversation about blog writing. I was encouraging my second eldest brother (er kerh or koko as I affectionately call him) to learn how to use the computer. I know koko loves reading, and hence I was coercing him to learn so that he could could read the articles in my blog.

"What's the meaning of Gan Chau, aunty?", asked my niece, Tyng.

"Gan is our surname Kam, and Chau is some kind of sweet herbs. The name was given by your beloved grandpa, who sensed I would become some kind of writer," I explained.

"Ganchau means licorice", volunteered koko.

I brightened up. No one had ever told me the exact meaning. "Licorice.... Licorice Kam.... sounds nice,ya?" I asked everyone. I also like to eat licorice.
Like licorice, I will be like Barnabas, bringing healing and encouragement to depressed and sickly souls.

My niece burst out laughing, and koko immediately frowned. "No lah! Sounds funny! Sis, you will always be a Choo Choo to me, my dear" asserted koko.

My eldest sister recently stopped by in Singapore on her way to Perth. Since she and her friend had 6 hours to spare, her friend's relatives picked them up from the airport and took them out for high tea at the Market Place Cafe. When her hospitable hostess, Phoon, realised that my real name is indeed Choo Choo, she broke into a big smile. "I thought it was a nickname", she beamed.

Sis told her that she did not like her name, Lee Lee. Too many actresses and singers have this name. "Sis, would you like to exchange your name with me?" I asked.

"Choo Choo suits you, my youngest sis.... you're always restless and moving like a Choo Choo train." remarked my sis, much to Phoon's amusement.

Sigh! When I first arrived in Canada for my studies, I adopted the name of "Lena". But once the Canadians knew my Chinese name, they refused to call me "Lena" as they thought the name of Choo Choo as a very cute and unique name. When I returned to Singapore, I decided to shorten the name to Lynn, probably to make it sound as fashionable as ahem.... Fann Wong lah, though I am even not half as pretty or famous!

Now, the discovery of the equivalent of Ganchau.... Licorice Kam! My dear readers... please take a vote.... which name do you like the most?

Gan Chau

No comments: