Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Birds' Nests for the Poor!

 

 

Sister Lee Lee's garden of flowering plants
 

 

"Birds' Nests for the Poor"

My eldest sister Lee Lee is very knowledgeable about herbs. In the garden of her corner terrace house in Kuching, she grows many types of fruit trees namely papaya, banana, mango and longan trees. She also grows beautiful bouganvillas and other types of flowering plants. Of course, the one that catches my attention most are her herbal plants.

The herbal plant that I am going to mention in this blog is known as the "birds' nests for the poor." On the leaves, we can spot a Chinese character with the word "ren" or man. This herb is good for the body from head to toe. It is especially good for the lungs. One smoker started drinking "ren" tea continuously for a month. Later when he visited his doctor for a check up, the doctor asked him if he had reduced his cigarette smoking because the lung had been removed of impurities!

I asked sister the word for the tea in English but sister does not know. Does any of my readers know the medicinal name of the herbs? You can recognise the leaves, because on each leaf, you can see the word "ren" as if it is written by a brush! Best of all, it is very easy to grow the herbs. We just have to plant back the stalks and hey presto, they bloom everywehre! The herbs can be boiled together with leaves, flowers and stalks, and keep us in good health if drunk at least three times a week.

Whatever it is, I thank God for His wonderful creation of herbal plants and roots for us to consume. Even cats and dogs know how to look for herbs when they are not well. My pet dogs loved to nibble on some grass and plants when I took them for walks. When I saw them doing so, I knew they were not quite well. Kamlette, my golden retriever, would throw out after nibbling at the herbs. Not once, had I ever to bring my dogs to the vet except for their yearly booster jabs.

Amazing plants! Wonderful herbs!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: