Thursday, June 28, 2007

Yours Truly, Uniquely Singapore (11)

Today is one of those days that I have to hop from one destination to another. Hence, I had to take quite a few taxis. I boarded a taxi at Toa Payoh to Kim Keat where I had to show a client three shop houses. The taxi driver was one of the grumpiest I had ever met.

He whined about the taxes he had to pay; road tax, gst, etc. I reminded him that Singapore is ruled by human beings, not gods, and hence we cannot expect a perfect nation. Even the most well meaning of people will sometimes divert a little and begin to think that they deserve more rewards in the form of incremental salaries.

I told him about my latest visit to Kuching where my friends complained that it is hard for developers to develop the town, because corruption is so rampant in the country.

Each time I visit another country I would come back, more appreciative of Singapore. I am one of those happy and easily contented individuals. I live within my means and am comfortable in my small little HDB flat. I enjoy the convenience that public transport offers me and do not begrduge those who drive luxurious cars. To each his own.

Frankly, Singapore is the diamond of my heart. I hope that we will continue to all play a part in helping to polish this lovely little diamond, so that she will continue to sparkle and shine in this part of the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah i feel absolutely the same too. I have been living in singapore for almost 8 years now and I am proudly telling everyone that I am a citizen-to-be of this nation. i sometimes think that singaporeans who were born and bred here are taking too many things for granted. As if anybody owe them a living!

- susan