Sunday, December 10, 2006

Most Challenging Period of 2006!

I did it! I delivered my tenth prepared speech for my Advance Communicator (Bronze) at our Division U Achievers' Day yesterday at the Whampoa Community Toastmasters'Club and won the Best Speaker Award. My Vice President (Education), Vanessa Yong, had challenged me to start my Advanced Communicator project on 9th November so that I could deliver my tenth project on our Achievers' Day on 9th December. If I could get my Advanced Communicator Award, it would mean getting an additional goal for our club to achieve the Toamstmaster's Distinguished club status.

I thank God too that it is during this tough period that I manged to close three big condominiums, thus achieving my best sales for the months of November and December. I managed to recruit a new agent for my company and spent one day teaching her the ropes. My niece, Ning, suddenly visited me in Singapore, and we packed her father's paintings for her to bring back to London.

I am grateful to Aveline Tan, for recruiting me to join Dennis Wee Group and to become a member of our company's toastmasters' club in late July. I have learnt so much from the meetings in our club and in other clubs as well. I am glad that I still manage to walk my pet dog, Chelsea, a minimum of twice a day - once before I go to work in the morning and once before I sleep! Sometimes if I work from home, I would take Chelsea out for an additional walk in the day.

On the 18th of December, I will be getting my Competent Leadership award at our
Dennis Wee Group Toastmasters' meeting. On 22nd of December, I will be flying off to Taiwan for a short mission trip and start life and the new year afresh on 1st January 2007!!

All thanks and glory to God! I hope the new year of 2007 will be an even more challenging, exciting and successful year for me and for my friends and relatives as well.

Wishing all my readers in Singapore and all over the world, a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New 2007! It's a small world after all! :-)

Gan Chau

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Choo

Congratulations on being voted the best prepared speech speaker at Division U Achiever's Day! I was fortunate enough to be voted the best speaker speech speaker at Division Z Achiever's Day as well! Though I felt my speech could have been better as my evaluator gave me feedback that some parts were a bit serious when it should have been more relaxed and informal.

All the way for your toastmasters' journey and take care!

EC

The Oriental Express said...

Heartiest congrats Ee Chuan. Jerlynn and I knew you would be a winner as you are always so profound in your speeches!

Jerlynn also won the best speaker for the CC manuals.

This is the beautiful thing about toastmasters' activities. We keep improving all the time. when I rehearsed, I timed my speech to be ten minutes, but when I delivered, I was almost shocked that when I was about to finish my speech, the green light was still not on. I quickly added on some parts of "My Fair Lady" about Professor Higgin's frustration with Eliza's cockney accent and his imploring the English to teach their children to speak!

I also must remember to slow down my speed of talking, because sometimes I go off the tracks and speed like a choo choo train! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... same thing happened to me during my speech as it was 8-10 minutes and I have been doing 5-7 minutes speeches for the last 3 advanced projects.

Yes, one of the powerful aspects of toastmasters is the ability to improve even after having minor relapses of bad habits. As DTM John Sih likes to say, "Practice makes BETTER!"

EC

JerL said...

Congratulations Ms Kam!!! Really impressive speech! I'm indeed very touched by how the Lord have blessed you. It is really encouraging for me especially when I'm going through a rough patch at this point in time. I'm awaiting for greener pastures as I wait in the Lord.

And congratulations to you too Ee Chuan!!!

As for me, my weak point is that I always exceed the time limit for my speeches! I need to speak faster! Have lots of room for improvement!

afrobev said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas my dear Choo

James xxx