Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Much Ado About Mobile Phones

I have noticed some of the less favourable manners of people when using their mobile phones.

One day, I called my colleague, Aveline, and to my surprise, she was still asleep at 10a.m. She is someone who is usually up at the crack of 7 am. She told me she was utterly exhausted, because her client kept her waiting for one and a half hours while she conveniently talked to someone on her mobile phone!! Aveline had an appointment with this client at 10p.m. and did not get to converse with her till 11.30p.m. and her meeting ended at 1.00a.m. Despite the 3 hours, Aveline still did not get the exclusive listing to sell her client's property, because she was put in a tight spot between her loyalty towards her agent who has been a great support to her curtain business and Aveline as a good friend. It is extremely rude to have an appointment with someone and then keep her waiting. I would never pick up my mobile phone if I am have someone with me. When the person is with me, he is like the most important person for he has given me his time, and hence the person who happens to call me can wait. Unless, it is a matter of life and death.... awaiting for news about someone's condition in the hospital etc. calls can be returned later.

I always tell my friends with private numbers that if they want me to call them back, they have to sms or I will not be able to return calls.

I wonder if any of you have received 5 to 8 missed calls of the same number? It is extremely rude to do that for the person is implying the following :-

1) That his recipient MUST pick up the phone immediately regardless of whether he
is in the shower, having a nap, taking a flight in the plane, having a meeting,
etc.

2) That his recipient is like a "runaway" .... avoiding calls for reasons best known
to himself.

3) That he is superior to everybody... his call, must, at the crack of ringing,
be answered immediately.

Once I had a client who owns many huge bungalows. Perhaps by virture of owning some bungalows, she feels as if she owns the whole world with everyone in it. When she calls you, she gets uptight and frustrated if her calls are not picked up immediately. One day, I told her, "I am sorry your bungalows don't make my world go round. My three-room HDB flat owner is as important as my bungalow owner. I know when I can return calls."

My papa had always advised us that if we do not know how to manage our time, others will manage it for us!!

Then there are some people who speak into their mobile phones as if they were in their comfortable home. Their loud voices could be heard for miles around. Once in the restaurant, my friend and I heard this man narrating his exploits on the phone!!

Perhaps readers can add many more pointers to the topic of "Mobile phone etiquette".

Gan Chau

1 comment:

thanh7580 said...

I wrote a post about mobile phones as well. I think sometimes people react to a mobile call as if its the most important thing in the world. Regardless of whether they are in the middle of something, when the phone rings, they must answer at all costs. You should answer quickly but then say you will call the other person back at a more convenient time.