Friday, July 13, 2007

A Bloody Dilemma

Gosh! Many of us in this little nation are shocked by the woman who died from profuse bleeding after the birth of her twins. I would not go into the medical and
technical details of why the mother died. I would prefer to explore on the bloody dilemma the husband faced.

The hospital authorities told him that if the wife needed more blood they would have to ask from the Higher Authorities. I wonder in a situation like this, whether it would be of necessity to ask from the Higher Authorities. Shouldn't one use his own initiative in order to save a life.? It is almost like a student seeing his friend drowning in a pool. Must he ask his father for permission to save his friend? I like rules and regulations but not when they suffer from worms by becoming too stringent and constipated ....red worms known as red tapes!

In his desperation and anxiety to save his wife, the husband rounded up some 200 friends to donate blood, arrving at the hospital at 8.50a.m. It is shocking that a staff could say that it was not the time yet! The woman later died that evening.

In a way, I marvel at the husband for being able to round up 200 friends even though he must be tormented with anxeity. I remember when papa had a stroke and was unconscious on the hospital bed, I already became numbed with grief and tears. It is somehow not morally right to ask a grieving husband to rush around for blood. The Authorities claimed they have enough blood for such emergency situations. Could the husband not be asked to look for blood donation from friends AFTER his wife had been administered to? I am sure anyone in his civil and grateful mind, would want to repay, especially when his loved ones had been saved.

I have donated blood some 75 times. Does it also mean that I must look for donors too when there is an emergency? I do not have any relative living in Singapore.!
Now I must build up a good network of faithful friends who will want to save me should a bloody crisis appear!

Someone had suggested that the Red Cross and Blood Bank should come up with more innovative ways to ensure sufficient supply of blood at all times. I remember many years ago, I was somewhat annoyed when I received a letter from the Red Cross, enticing people to donate blood by giving a lucky draw! I wrote to the Red Cross telling them that motvation to give blood must truly come from the heart. One gives blood out of love and civic mindedness...not in the hope of winning some kind of lucky prize!

Perhaps I could attribute my consistency and perseverance to donate blood 75 times to my pet collie, Kambobo. When Bobo had tick fever and his platelets were very low, a donor dog saved his life in the nick of time. In my anxiety to save my dog, I told the vet I was a blood donor, and could I give blood to my dog! The vet smiled and said that dogs could only give blood to dogs. "What blood group is Bobo?" I asked sheepishly. Thank God that dogs have no blood group like human beings.! In my gratitude, I put Bobo as a donor dog so that he too could help other dogs in need. A donor dog must be on heartworm tablets/injection for at least 6 months. This experience of almost losing my dog has also made me realise I must do my part for "National Service" as a regular blood donor.

I guess we all learn all the time...only if we are ready to admit our mistakes and to improve and relearn.

No comments: