Thursday, August 24, 2006

Are We Really What We Eat?

It all started with a fellow bloger, Thanh who is a Vietnamese from Australia. He is a foodist and suggested that we all come up with a food blog. Currently contributors come from Singapore, UK and Australia. Food, like music, is an international language that the world understands. Regardless of race, language or religion, every two legged being understands the meaning of good, tasty food.

Hence the birth of the blog, "I Eat Therefore I Am". But then are we really what we eat? I am sure you will know of someone who eats literally non-stop but remains thin as a bamboo pole, or someone who hardly eats, but who appears bloated or well-upholstered most of the time! My brother told me that one of his classmates, a Chinese lady from Malaysia, had an appetite for eight people! Her dinner would usually consist of a pot of rice, a pot of soup, a whole chicken and a huge plate of vegetables. She would finish one big watermelon on her own. Yet she weighed only 48kg!!!

As for me, all these years I have become fat not from eating but from laughing!! How can I possibly remain slim when I am being constantly inflated with the healthy air of laughter with the jokes and mimics made by my family members? Buffets are out for me, because I would become full very fast after trying a few dishes. I would look on enviously on the plates of my friends who seem to have bottomless pits!!

So fellow readers, do log in our new blog, http://ieatthereforeiam.blogspot.com You will enjoy mouth watering menus and recipes from across the globe. I have also posted my famous char koay teow recipe which is somewhat modified to suit the taste of Singaporeans - hence it is 95% Penang style and 5% Singaporean style. After all, a good cook must be one who is sensitive to the tastebuds and preference of his guests!!

Thanh, who is also a computer expert, has often helped me with the computer. I have promised to cook him a storm when he comes avisiting in Singapore!!! Scary....cooking for a foodist!!! His standard of food rating is very high! Help!

Ganchau

4 comments:

afrobev said...

I am definetly one of those who puts on weight by just walking past something fatty in the supermarket. But then I dont help myself by treating myself to really unhealthy things on two frequent a basis.

thanh7580 said...

Choo, firstly I have to correct you and say that I am Te Chu Chinese and not Vietnamese. I was born in Vietnam but our family is "Chinese hua chiau (immigrants)" in Vietnam.

Secondly, if I do come to Singapore at the end of the year, I will definitely be visiting you for my banquet. The way you phrase it, I sound like a food Nazi hahaha, I'm not that bad. I just like good food.

I'm the same as yourself and James. Walking past fatty food is enough to make me gain weight.

The Oriental Express said...

I see. When we say you are a Vietnamese, are we not referring to nationality, just as I was a Malaysian, but I am 100% Chinese or that I am a Singaporean, but I am a Chinese, just as my neighbour is a Malay or an Indian, but we call ourselves Singaporeans.

thanh7580 said...

If you are referring to nationality, then I would be an Australian. I only have Australian citizenship and not Vietnamese. I generally say that I'm Australian Chinese.