Saturday, August 26, 2006

Why is China still so .........

I had a shock when a friend sent me this email. Seeing is believing! Is this the way the Chinese treat their people with death sentences? How inhuman! Makes me feel ashamed to be a Chinese! Is this the reason why Lu Hsun wrote "The True Story of Ah Q and the New Year Sacrifice?"

















I remember my visit to China in 1981. While the train was at Nanjing, I saw a sight which still haunts me to this day. Out of the windows of the train, I saw an elderly man trying to push a cartful of some 40 boxes of Toshiba television. He was obviously struggling with the excess weight and slight slope. Looking on were some younger men who definetely looked stronger than the elderly men. They stood watching with arms folded. Yet not one person lifted a finger to help the poor old man. I put my head out of the window and yelled in Mandarin, "Can you all please help the old man!" Finally two men reluctantly helped to push the cart up the slope.

Suddenly Ah Q came to life as fresh understanding of Lu Hsun's master piece dawned upon me. My heart was heavy as I thought of how China had achieved a first in so many areas..... Aren't the Chinese the first to discover gun powder, making of silk products, papers, etc. etc. Yet, look at how backward China is still today!! Why can't China emulate the good examples from other nations?

Bo Yang must have written his book, "The Ugly China Man" with a heavy heart. Sigh...

Gan Chau

2 comments:

afrobev said...

Those pictures will haunt me forever. Horrific!

The Oriental Express said...

I understand how you feel, James. When I first received the pics through email from a friend, I was also flabbergasted and thought maybe the pics are not real.... just some tricks someone made with photography.

I googled and sad to say.... it is the truth. Everyday, women prisoners are killed and in such a savage way. They have capital punishment for stupid reasons which goes to show that China does not treasure her people. Maybe China feels her population is too big. Am really glad that my great granparents had the foresight to migrate to Malaya then.