Wednesday, November 15, 2006

First Anniversary!

Gosh! Today is 15th November 2006! Exactly a year after I first started my blog, The Oriental Express! Ideally I would have liked to be able to post an article a day, thus giving me 365 articles, but I only have 260 articles.

I guess some of my time has been devoted to my new activity - public speaking. My colleague, Aveline Tan brought me to a meeting one evening and I did not expect to become a member of our Dennis Wee Group Toastmasters' Club on 22nd July. I enjoy the activities in Toastmasters so much that I manage to complete 13 prepared speeches and hope to do my 20th speech on 9th December on our Div. U Achievers' Day cum Christmas Party Celebration. I managed to clinch eight best speaker's award, four best table topics award and two best evluator's award. I was asked by my Executive Committee to participate in the Humorous Speech Contest. I participated without realising that I was competing with great veteran speakers. Like Forrest Gump, it must be by God's grace that I managed to clinch the Champion Award in the Division U Contest!

Along this writing journey, I also meet fellow bloggers from all over the world. The most prominent one is Thanh, a fellow blogger from Melbourne, who is always so helpful. I also met Ed Wong, the son of my sister's best friend. Both Thanh and Ed teach me how to post pictures in my blog, etc. He is also the one to come up with a joint-blog on food with fellow bloggers, James and Stan and a few others from Perth and the United Kingdom. Check it out if you have not yet done so. The lovely pictures will make you salivate. Cheers to writing and reading. Please feel free to give me your comments so that I can improve further as a blogger.

Thanks to all my readers for their support. Don't forget to check out our food blog at http://ieatthtereforeiam.blogspot.com. One of the ways to a friend's heart is through his stomach. Don't you agree?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. If you are interested in being paid to write, let me know at scotsd50@yahoo.com. We have multiple projects ready to go.

thanh7580 said...

Congratulations on one year of blogging. It's been great to meet you as well, an honour and a pleasure on my part. I hope I can meet you in real life at the end of the year when I go to Singapore. You will be the first blogger friend that I will meet in real life.

JerL said...

How can you do so many prepared speeches in such a short time? We never have enough speaking slots for everyone.

The Oriental Express said...

Jerlyn, out of my 14 prepared speeches, I only presented 3 in DW Group TMC. I did the rest of the 11 speeches in others clubs, eg. Walton's, Singhealth, UBS, AIA Alexandra,Sony Ericcson, Geylang Serai, Bukit Merah, Achievers, Braddel Heights, Spans_Jom, Cangkat Tampinese, Tg. Pagar, Raintree, to name a few. You can liase with other external clubs for speaking slots and appt. holders. It is more fun like this, observing and learning from other clubs.

Some of my members are shy and prefer to speak only in DW Group TMC. That is fine too. To each his own.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your anniversary. By the way, thanks for the tip on my blog, you are officially under my blogroll now.

Cheers

The Oriental Express said...

You signed yourself as annonnymous, and I have read many comments under "Annonymous" in Tomorrow.sg You must be one of them!

I love Canada very much! Lucky you staying there!

Keep up your interseting blog!

afrobev said...

Many happy returns Choo. Glad you've reached a pinnacle of blog writing.

Congratulations and keep them coming

James xxx