Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Pleasant Surprise!

What a pleasant surprise when I found someone leaving comments in my blog. I was intriqued when the person said that he was there when my nephew had the nasty accident of knocking his head against the bed and fell into a coma. He was also there when my eldest sister bought her first Volkswagon Beetle No. KA8944!

I put two and two together and realised he could be the son of my sister's best friend, Alice. I looked into his blog www.cooknegr.com and was warmed by the interesting contents.

It is heartening when young people have their own blogs and spend a good time writing interesting and thought provoking articles. Writing is an excellent therapy and compels us to sit back and reflect on the day's activities and to ponder about what life has to offer us. So often we are so busy running here and there, that we just zoom through life. Are we really living life to the fullest or just merely existing?

I believe that when we write, we take time to take stock of things. So often we hear people say, "Ya hor? How come I didn't think of that!?"

As a teacher of English and Literature, I have always encouraged my students to write... writing for mental health! I encourage them to work hard at these two subjects not just to get good grades for their "O" Levels. Learning English and Literature is a life long process. The world is a stage and we are all but actors and actresses!

Life provides the greatest material for literature everyday! Observe it! Reflect on it! Write about it!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

PanzerGrenadier said...

Dear Choo

Agree with you that writing (as well as reading fiction) is very therapeutic. I used to study literature at A levels and for the last few years, have been so caught up in reading practical books on investment, management books that I lost the habit of reading fiction.

I attended a talk at the Thomson CC Toastmasters and a publising consultant who was there remarked,

"There is a book waiting to be written in all of us!"

How true, even if it is writing about our own little life stories day by day, there is something happening in our lvies even if it is unexciting or dull.

Keep writing and see you on Wedsnesday at the Spans-JOM TMC meeting! :-)

EC