Saturday, November 19, 2005

An Embarrassing Incident (1)

When my regular tenants left in 1996, I put an advertisement in the papers to rent out their rooms. A young gentleman responded, and John told me he was a student in the Polytechnic and that he was from Malaysia. He told me he often came back late and asked if I would mind. I asked if he worked in the restaurant or pub and to my surprise, he said, "I'm a pretty boy". I told him he had used the wrong adjective. "I'm a pretty boy", he insisted. "No, you must say I am a handsome boy; pretty is only used to describe a girl or lady. "I'm a pretty boy", he said again.

Somewhat perplexed, I said, "I teach English in the school, John. You must say, "I'm a handsome boy". "I'm a duck" John replied. "Gosh, first you are a pretty boy and now you are a duck....." "Which world do you come from?" asked John somewhat exasperated. "I come from Penang". Finally he said, "I'm a gigolo".

John told me he found the earnings attractive which came in handy to pay for his education, etc. It also gave him the extras to buy some branded goods he liked. Later I read that some students had turned to vice so that they would have the extra cash to buy the things they coveted.

John never rented the room for he found me "too nice and decent a landlady". Now and then he would phone me and tell me of his problems and frustrations with his sideline. I guess he was comfortable with my non-judgemental attitude towards him. I advised him to switch to restaurant work for he might be happier even though the earnings could be lesser.... but at least he would not be at the beck and call and to put up with the whims and fancies of the rich. He promised and I never heard from him since then.

This incident made me realise I had been overly confident and have still so much more to learn. I had been brought up in a lovely home where papa sheltered us with so much love and comfort that we grew up quite unaware of the plight of others less fortunate. I only pray John will make his mark in life one day.

Gan Chau