Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What's in a Name (2)

Names! Names! Names! To me, names of roads, streets and avenues ar as important as names for people.

When I first wanted to buy my first HDB (Housing Development Board) flat, the agent showed me a very beautifully renovated flat. As much as I liked the flat, I could not bring myself to purchase it because I would blush if people asked me where I lived. The flat was located at Ah Hood Road. (Hood is Penang Hokkien for testes). I have just found out from my agent friend that in Singapore they also have the same meaning. Worse, as the Hokkien here is less refined, they will say a man has no hood (meaning he has no courage and is less of a man than he should be).

The agent next showed me two flats and British snob that I am, I chose to buy the flat located at Dover Road, as opposed to Telok Blangah Heights. I did not like a road to have a mixture of both Malay and English word. It turned out to be a good choice as my school, ACS (Independent) eventually built their new premises very near my apartment. My dream of walking to school had come true.


I would never choose to buy properties on roads with names like Kay Poh Road (Busybody road), Lim Tua Tow Road (Big Head) Jalan Tua Kong (Big Grandfather), Jalan Ayam Katek (Short Chicken Road), etc.

I find my university buddy, Richard's address in America interesting. It says, Castle Row Overlook. Makes me feel as if one more word is still missing.... Overlook what?

My siblings often chide me for being a real kaypo (busybody.) Maybe I should live on Kay Poh Road... hang on, despite the unsophisticated name, voila, the properties on Kay Poh Road are plush condominiums beyond my budget! Hence, don't judge a road by its name!

Choo Choo Kam

No comments: