Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Kiasu Singaporeans at Buffets

A friend's article on Singaporeans vs. Malaysians reminded me of an embarrassing incident.
My friend, Lilian, asked me to join her for a buffet lunch. Although I am not highly in
favour of buffets (most of us tend to overeat or in Hokkien they say, chiak
kau pun - eat the valaue's worth) I decided to go along with her as she is quite
lonely, with few friends.

Just as we were about to leave, Lilian, my friend, threw out at the main entrance!
It was so embarrassing! I can never forget the looks of disgust and shock of
the staff and customers. Luckily we were not sued when some potential
customers, upon seeing the vomit, shrieked and ran off. !

Another friend proudly told me she would eat up to two kilos of fresh prawns
at every steamboat buffet.! I wonder about her cholesterol level. I wonder why some people do not realise that it can be very agonising to overeat. This is why at Rialto, I never believe in having buffets of Italian spread. I do not wish to encourge overeating and wastage of food. It is ironical that people with money should stuff themselves sick with food and suffer in agony, while the hungry in Africa agonise for want of food!

I wonder if the above is true of customers in Hong Kong, China, America and all
over the world. Maybe... human nature to always to want more of everything! Enough
is often not enough! That is why we have the box office hit Singapore production,
Chian Pu Kou Yung - Money, Not Engouh.

Gan Chau

No comments: