Thursday, November 17, 2005

Faithfulness

In Penang, my cousin took me to visit her friend whose son is an animal lover. Their lovely, cosy kampong home is like a mini zoo!

I was pleasantly surprised to a find a huge wooden cage housing budgerigars of brilliant hues and colours! Aunty Boh told me that her son, Huat, started with only 2 pairs of birds which later multiplied to 102! Huat had put coconut husks to be used as nests. We could see little heads popping out and in some nests the mother bird was patiently feeding her babies.

There were pairs of budgerigars kissing each other and I was startled to find out that the love birds are faithful to each other till they die! Interesting to note how there are so many birds in the cage, yet each pair of love birds only have eyes for one another!

If only this were true for human beings! If a man only has eyes for his wife and vice versa, there would be less divorces in this world! We, human beings are supposed to be the highest form of God's creation, yet how could we behave lesser than these tiny budgerigars!

Emerson said, "Every man I meet is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him". I guess we could also learn a lot from God's tiny creation. I remember in one of my pastor's sermons he had mentioned, "If a man could control his bad temper and his lust, he will be a great man indeed!"

Gan Chau