Thursday, January 18, 2007

Goal Setting

I have never set goals in my life. I am one of those who believe in jumping out of my bed every morning with thanksgiving in my heart and a spring in my step. Papa had always taught us that if anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well. I prefer to make the most of what life has in store for me day by day, week by week and month by month. For example, little did I expect to join Dennis Wee Group as a property agent or to become a Toastmaster. My agent friend, Aveline Tan, invited me to her company's annual dinner and dance. She knew I was a fun loving person and definitely I would be attracted to her equally fun company! I guess it was timely, because CHR Realty gradually closed down. Fortunately for me, I did not have any commission due from CHR Realty or I would also have to bid my hard earned money goodbye like some of my less fortunate colleagues.

At Dennis Wee Group, I worked as best as I could. However, it is important that I not only work hard, but also work smart. It is important to understand my clients' needs so that I can help them in the best possible way. I am grateful to God for blessing my sales as I am one of my company's top agents. Toastmaster's activities have indeed helped me to be more organised and stringent with time management. It has also sharpened my wit and humour. When clients laugh, they are in a better mood to purchase properties! :-)

I had also not planned to visit Kuching, Sarawak, until my eldest sister booked my tickets to visit her!! I had not been to Kuching for quite some time, and many of my friends in Malaysia missed me!

Thinking that my nephew needed his father's paintings urgently, I volunteered to fly over to Taiwan, only to have all plans turned topsy turvy, when he suddenly emailed me not to come as he was very busy!! As usual, I am one of those who don't easily get upset or flustered; since I have already got my tickets, I might as well go to Taiwan and bump around on my own. What an interesting adventure! In all, 2006 was a great year.

Please do not misunderstand me. Goal setting is important. However, it is pointless to make so many resolutions just for the sake of making them. It is more important to always make the most of the daily 24 hours we are given. Do not waste any minute giving in to negative thoughts or wishful thinking. Do not be easily upset or angered. If things don't work out the way we expect them to, take it as an opportunity to reconsider. Somebody says that when God closes one door, He opens another! I am glad that my nephew had changed his plans for me. If not, I would never realise my dream of ever travelling on my very own, and to discover that it is not so difficult after all to read maps and find my way around Taiwan.!

Somebody asked how I managed to do so much in my 53 years. The secret is the extra time I get for not indulging in too much sleep. All these years I have managed to thrive on 4 to 5 hours of deep slumber. I have never suffered from insomnia. I am one of those lucky people who can sleep soundly anywhere and everywhere - in the bus, plane, on the mudfloor in Nepal, or at the beach while camping with my students, etc. The reason is simple.... don't sleep if you can't sleep. Get up and read a book or watch the TV. I prefer to follow my body clockwork, instead of following the clock on the wall. On some days when I am tired, I sleep as early as 9p.m. and on some days I may go to bed at 3.00a.m. Whenever I am in the bus, mrt, or having my hair done or waiting for my dentist, etc. I will definitely take a cat nap.

Perhaps some of you may say that different people need different hours to rejuvenate. It is true. However, I would like to think that perhaps it is more in the mind. Ever since I learnt to read, I discovered that it was more fun to wake up early to read my story books than to dream on the bed! Why sleep and dream? Why not stay awake and make your dream a reality?

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How true!

Man proposes but God disposes.

I used to be a planner. But nowadays I realise happiness is the state of mind at any point in time and should be disengaged from how things are turning out at that point in time. When we plan our lives to the "T" only to find out that our plans go awry, we get upset and never ever find happiness.

One day at a time and in moderation is the key for me at least.

Catch up with you later!

EC