Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Miss! Aren't You Feeling Cold?

Double insulation!! Oh! No! I am not referring to the double insulation that is being put in nearly all houses and buildings in Canada. I am referring to the natural double insulation that God has blessed me with ...... my extra layer of F - A - T !!!

I was blessed with great weather during my ten days in Taiwan. It was mostly bright and sunny with a few cloudy days but no heavy rain!! Only little showers! I sang "Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain" as I walked along the quaint streets with joy in my heart and spring in my steps. I was told by the hostel owner that the week before my arrival saw heavy rainfall for almost a week!

I could go everywhere with just my long pants and T-shirt on. I never had to wear my jacket. As a result, I often received curious and sometimes amused looks from the local people. In the MRT on my way to Dansui, a lady touched me on my left arm and asked me if I felt cold? She was surprised that my arm and my palm were warm. An old man playing the er hu also stopped his playing to ask where I came from when I dropped some cash into his donation box. He asked if I did not feel cold and suggested I am very strong and healthy!


Seriously when I saw the locals clad in so many layers of clothes, I felt very warm. Most Taiwanese wear coats which are as thick as the ones worn by the people in Canada! However, on the positive side, the winter wear in Taiwan is very beautiful and in vogue. It was lovely to see ladies wearing fashionable boots together with elegant jackets! The Taiwanese dress really well!

Now that I am back, I perspire profusely in our hot and humid climate! My new year resolution - you can easily guess it..... to shed off my extra layer of insulation!

2 comments:

thanh7580 said...

The same thing happened to me and my friend in Hong Kong. The weather was about 20 degrees, which is what we consider nice in Australia. This is considered very cold for the Hong Kong people and they were wearing thick coats. We were in our t-shirts and enjoying the weather. Hong Kong people also dress very well.

The Oriental Express said...

It is understandable you are from Melbourne and there are used to the cold. But the Taiwanese could not understand how a Singaporean can get used to their cold weather.

Some of the Taiwanese dress like as if they were facing the cold winter of Canada! I felt warm just by looking at their layers of thick clothings!!!