Friday, June 09, 2006

Against All Odds

A friend had asked me to help market her inter-terrace house at Bukit Timah area.
The house is lovely and cosy, and despite being built 30 years ago, is well maintained. However, the only disadvantage is that it is located at a T-junction. Buyers usually avoid T-junction properties because of geomancy and the worry that cars will shine their headlights into the house when they turn.

12 buyers phoned me. I told them the number of the house so that they could drive around to have an idea of the location. For my first open house, only 3 buyers turned up. One purchaser was polite enough to call me to cancel her appointment as she did not like houses at T-junctions. It was love at first sight for the first couple, the Wees. They had been house hunting for a year but could not find any to their taste. They asked to view a second time the following day, as they would like to show their mother and siblings.

My client told the buyers that when he first saw the house 20 years ago, he liked it so much that he put a deposit on the spot and even gave the agent a $2,000/- commission to help him clinch the deal. I told Mr. Wee he did not have to give me any commission; he would just have to offer a reasonable price for the house. Mr. Wee asked if I had any offer yet, and I told him that as I had just started to market the property, no one had made any offer to buy. He told us he had studied the movement of cars for one hour, and noticed that as my clients' property was located more to the left, the turning cars did not really affect the house. Morever the roads are quite wide. He offered to buy the house at valuation price the following day.! This is the fastest deal I have transacted for a property at a T-junction!

My clients told me that they noticed I did not talk much when showing the property.
I told them that the properties should speak for themselves. Morever, most of my clients are learned and experienced buyers ..... they know what they want... and no amount of coercion from my excellent sales talk will influence them to buy if they are not keen on the property. When I market a property, I will only mention the salient points, and point out issues that are not so obvious.

Another purchaser, Mr. Ong, who wanted to move to a smaller apartment as his children had all married, bought a two room unit from my client. When I went to see them to sign the documents, they told me they would like to sell their apartment as well. I saw a piano in their apartment and could not resist trying it out. "My piano sounds so nice when you play it. Somehow when my wife and daughter play the piano, they sound more like pounding chillis! I only realise today my piano actually sounds nice," said Mr. Ong cheerfully. I told the lovely couple that when playing the piano, one must be expressive so as to help bring out the rich tone of the instrument. I encouraged Mrs. Ong to continue practising the piano. My beloved papa was right. Music has power to bring joy to people!


The Ongs were worried it would take some time to sell their apartment as it is on the 14th floor. Their relatives have told them that units with "4" would take longer and buyers would try to press down the price. Despite all odds, the apartment was sold at $13,800/- above valuation within 2 weeks. The Ongs also commented that I did not talk much when I marketed their unit. I appreciate that they were frank enough to comment that I do not dress as well as other agents! Throughout my life, I have never bought a branded outfit. I have not been able to bring myself to spend $300/- on a brand name. I am contented with a $20/- outfit. Some of my clothes are tailored by my eldest sister. Mr. Ong also observed that although I do not drive, I am always very punctual for my appointments.


News report say that June, December and the month of the hungry ghosts are quiet months for property transactions. In June and December, most families go on holidays and it is unlucky to buy properties during the month of the hungry ghosts. Yet, I seem to be busiest during these three months! I just know that as an agent, I can only work hard and smart and try my best, leaving God to do the rest.!

Gan Chau :-)

2 comments:

thanh7580 said...

You sound like you're a very good real estate agent. Keep up the good work and make more people happy by finding them their dream home.

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks. Without God's blessings, it is impossible to close deals. Have still a lot to learn. Always tell myself to be sensitive to the needs of my clients and to help them fulfill those needs.