Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Man Who Never Celebrated Father's Day

I had invited my clients, Mr. & Mrs. Tan for a Father's Day lunch, but at the 11th hour, they cancelled the appointment. Hence I decided to continue with the lunch since I had invited my ex-staff, Amu, along.

I was so engrossed with my writing that I did not notice the passing of time. As I was running late, I decided to take a taxi. "Uncle, happy father's day", I greeted the taxi man cheerfully.

"Where got such thing", he replied grumpily.

"It's your day, uncle. Happy Father's Day", I greeted him again.

"All these years, my children never greet me or buy me present. If I had good children.... I won't be driving a taxi at my age. Many of my lucky friends have already retired." He paused for quite a while. "Aiya.... commercial only".

I felt kind of sorry for the taxi driver. He cut a pathetic figure, with his weather-beaten face. As I looked at him I wondered at his relationship with his children. I dared not probe further, preferring to give his children the benefit of a doubt. After all the Bible had reminded children to honour their parents, and vice versa, for parents not to provoke their children to anger.

Suddenly, I thought I'd try to cheer up the taxi driver. I shared with him some stories about papa. I had some new red packets in my handbag, and I quickly put some money into a red packet. When I arrived at my destination, I gave the taxi driver a small red packet together with my fares. I told him to treat the red packet as a Father's Day gift.

The taxi driver smiled and thanked me. I felt extremely happy the whole day long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very sweet gesture on your part. I'm sure you have made a difference to the taxi uncle too!

Anonymous said...

Oh btw,you left me a message requesting to link me up on your blog but you called me James instead. lol!

So, did you want to link me(William) up or James (but sent wrongly to me)?

William

JOEPSC said...

What our society needs is more kind and understanding people like you.

Have a nice day and God bless!