Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happiness in Little Things ...even in Temporary Make-Belief!

This morning, as I was waiting for the lift, I looked at my reflection in the mirror which was on the door of the lift. I have been doing that for the past 4 months since I joined Dennis Wee Properties Pte. Ltd. at their head office at Park Mall. Perhaps I took the opportunity to check that my clothes were not creased, etc. I only realise now I do not even have a long mirror at home.!


Suddenly it dawned upon me that I actually enjoyed looking at the reflection in the mirror because lo and behold! the person looking back at me was actually someone taller and slimmer!! What a nice reflection and it made me happy. Although it was a temporary make-belief it brought me joy and smiles.

Friends and family members will tell you that I am the least vain of ladies they have met. I grew up with my mom and sisters constantly reminding me to put powder on my face! Now at age 52, I often received compact powder and lip sticks as presents from my nieces, but I "recyled" them as gifts for my friends and associates.! With this hot, humid weather, it is difficult for any powder or eye shadow to remain plastered on my face! Hence my face is devoid of make up unless it is for a photo shoot. Once I had to do a cooking program with Devagi Sanmugam at Rialto, and the TV crew had my face made up. Wow! What a transformation! Made me think I actually looked quite pretty after all.!!

The mirror incident made me recall the time when I first came to Singapore some 23 years ago. I stayed at the lovely YWCA Hostel as a hostelite for 3 years. It was great fun staying at the Y, as we affectionately called our hostel. We felt as if we were in the United Nations as we could meet people from so many different countries.

I met Roxanne, a student from Bombay who was doing a short term computer course. Roxanne and I got along very well. She taught me Hindi, and we had fun discussing some of the older and popular Hindi movies namely Haathi Mere Saathi (Elephants, my friends), Waqt (Time) and Bobby. I guess we were both alike in many ways and had the same interests. Only that Roxanne was much taller and bigger. It was difficult for the two of us to really lose weight because both of us were chocoholics! One day, while shopping at the Paragon, Roxanne suddenly waved to me excitedly. "Look! Look!", said Roxanne, pointing excitedly to one of the shining pillars. "Look, I'm so tall and slim", Roxanne asserted cheerfully. "Wow, you look like Miss India, Roxanne! Quick, lose some weight! Let's go running around Fort Canning tomorrow!" I coaxed. I smiled and I thought Roxanne was cute.

This morning, I thought I was also cute.... looking longingly at the slimmer Choo in the mirror! Mm, quite inspiring.... must start jogging tomorrow to shed off an extra 15 kg!! :-)

Gan Chau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've just went into your Xanga blog with the password you've given me but I don't see any links from other people.

If you want a list of links similar to the one you have in your blogspot blog, you need to choose a skin(template) first. You can choose one from www.createblog.com.

The Xanga.com blog's default template doesn't allow individual linking. They only allow blogrings ie, automobiles, pets, etc...

A blogring is something like a group where like-minded people link their blogs together cuz of a common interest.

William

thanh7580 said...

Sometimes to be duluded is a good thing. It hurts more to know the reality sometimes and if there is no advantage in knowing, its sometimes better to be deluded. So just go and buy yourself one of those slimming mirrors and keep eating those yummy chocolates.