Saturday, July 22, 2006

Think twice, Mr. Terrorist!

When I was at the Causeway on the way to Kuala Lumpur, the bus driver told us to just get our luggage and we could leave the edible staff in the bus. I was secretly overjoyed when I heard that for it meant I could buy tons of foodstuff from Penang on my return to Singapore. I wanted to give treats to my friends and colleagues, and these stuff could weigh a ton!

My brother was concerned about my baggage, but I gleefully told him I could leave them in the bus and only carry my luggage. Hence I was surprised when the bus driver, with arms akimbo, asked if the bags of food were mine. "Yes," I replied sheepishly. "Why didn't you take them with you? You know, the officers came up and wanted to haul your bags away, but I pleaded with them, and after checking they left them for you. If not, lady, you will have to go back all the way to claim them, and this would mean delay for everyone in the bus!"

I apologised profusely, explaining that the previous driver had said it was not necessary. "It is ok, when you enter Malaysia, but not ok when you enter Singapore! You should know, lady, for you are a Singaporean".

I felt my cheeks turning warm with embarrassment. At the same time, I felt very proud of Singapore. By golly! The officers left no biscuit unturned!! I was relieved that my 12 boxes of Penang Tau Sar Piah (popular Penang biscuits) and 20 packets of nutmegs were still intact. My pride swelled when I saw officers with machine guns patrolling the Immigration check point with some Alasation dogs in tow. The terrorists better think twice before they think of bullying us in Singapore. Our vigilent officers would surely not leave any biscuit or nutmeg unturned!!!

While we are grateful to the Army, Police and Ministries, let us all also play a part to help keep our little country safe by being alert at all times.

2 comments:

thanh7580 said...

I hope that if I go to Singapore for holiday, I will be able to take some durians home. Will the nice policeman stop me for exporting dangerous goods? The smell from some durians are so strong it can make Western people unconscious. :-)

The Oriental Express said...

Ha! Ha! I think your Australian immigration may be the one who will refuse your durians entry into Australia.

Over here, no problem. We are a food paradise and always encourage people to eat their fill.

Our officers are only stringent on digging into food that may hide hidden explosives!

Choo