Friday, September 08, 2006

The Day I Rescued a Caterpillar

I was taking Chelsea, my cocker spaniel, out for her usual morning walk. I was a little later than usual, as I wanted to complete my project speech on my computer.

Just as I was walking on the pavement, something caught my eyes. A cluster of tiny black ants were moving along with a small caterpillar. At first I thought the caterpillar was dead and the ants were hauling it for a feast. However, I realised that the caterpillar was still alive, as it turned its head now and then as if to fight off the ants. I quickly tied Chelsea's leash to a neaby badminton pole and went to investigate further.

The caterpillar was moving as fast as it could with the army of ants in tow. Suddenly I felt it was unfair that one small caterpillar should be attacked by so many ants.! I decided to take the bottle of water that was meant for Chelsea to drink, and I poured some water on the caterpillar. Immediately the ants let go of the caterpillar as it made its way as fast as it could. The ants quickly regained their composure but by then the caterpillar had slipped away from their grip.

After taking Chelsea for her walk, I returned to check on the caterpillar. It was still moving along the pavement, but this time, it was all alone - safe and sound.

I find it boring to exercise at the gymn and prefer destination walking which I find to be more interesting and meaningful. Instead of taking the train or bus to my office, I will walk there instead as it is only three bus stops away. This way, I compel myself to exercise. At the same time, the money I save, could go to supporting a child at an orphanage in Nepal. When I walk, I get to see more interesting things along the way. Everyday, I spend about 45 to 90 minutes walking from one point to another.

Sometimes I do get somewhat lazy and give myself all kinds of excuse not to walk. The weather is too warm; the sky is turning cloudy; I have too many things to carry,
my bones are aching, etc. etc. During such moments, I think of the little caterpillar which has to crawl almost quite pathetically to reach its destination. I realise it had taken the caterpillar 8 minutes to cover the distance which you and and will take only 5 steps! Yet the little insect persevered.

Hence, I will also persevere in all that I do. In my real estate work; in my tutoring; in my learning of French, in my cooking of new dishes, in my effort to improve my public speaking at Toastmasters' Clubs, etc. etc.

Life, indeed, is really a splendoured thing. The Creator has made us, homo sapien, the crown of His creation.! We do not have to crawl like a caterpillar or wag our tails continuously like Chelsea, my dog. We are equipped with a powerful mind and have a choice in all that we do. We are given a big heart to feel all that we have to feel. Luckily, God did not make me a caterpillar or a dog. I will be bored to death. It is so much more interesting to be a human being.

No comments: