Thursday, September 21, 2006

Just Do It!

It was such a pleasant surprise to find Jerlynn attending our last Toastmasters' meeting at our company premises. By the way, Jerlynn was the first Singaporean blogger whom I met online. She had read my blog and as was my habit, I often clicked on "referral" of my site meter to check on my readers. I was delighed when I clicked on http://idyllism.blogspot.com and found out that the blogger is also a fellow toastmaster!!! Most of my readers with blogs are usually from overseas. Hence Jerlynn is indeed a rarity.

I had to deliver my speech "Driving Me Nuts" at my own club meeting so as to get more exposure and practice. Jerlynn told me she was surprised that the laughter was quite subdued and thought that if the speech had been delivered at her club, it would bring the house down! I told her that even though I was stiff like a bamboo when I delivered my speech at the Singhealth Nurses Toastmasters' Club, the audience laughed heartily, but my speech with more body language this time, had garnered subdued laughter at the Sony Ericsson and my own club.!

I practised my speech in the taxi as it made its way to Clementi Park The taxi driver spoke excellent English and was congenial. Both he and my Australian friend, Peter laughed. I mentioned the above incidents to Peter and he had also mentioned that it depended very much on your audience. If I were to deliver to members of a comedy club for example, members would be generally very ticklish.... they laugh at the slightest hint of humour!

Jerlynn, like my overseas buddies, Peter and James, told me she preferred the humour in "Driving Me Nuts". She felt that speeches with language jokes are too common.

This Saturday will be the contest proper and I will just do my best. This is my first public speaking contest. Indeed I have come a long way from the time when I was coaxed by my classmates to speak on behalf of the floor in a debate. To my horror and embarrassment, I could not proceed after my salutation of "Ladies and Gentlemen". I suddenly became tongue tied.! Yes, I could still remember the laughter from the audience when my teacher asked me to go back and sit down!!

I would encourage readers to press on with whatever is being attempted. Adopt a never say die attitude. Do not be afraid to make mistakes for we learn and become better all the time. All the members in toastmasters' clubs will tell you they have improved from day one. Just like the words in Nike advertisement, "Just do it!"

Ganchau

2 comments:

JerL said...

Hi Ms Kam,

Thank you for inviting me to your club! It was really a pleasant experience to meet up with you. A warm lady with humour and good cooking skills! Mine, I was swooned!

All the best for the Humorous Speech Contest! I will try to go down to support you after my morning appointment!

Drink honey with lemon! God bless you!

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks for your support, Jerlynn.

I will try my best and leave God to do the rest.!!

Cheers to our public speaking efforts.