Sunday, September 24, 2006

My 1st Speech Contest

Our Toastmasters' Club at Dennis Wee Properties did not have the time to organise an inhouse contest, so my Vice President for Education asked if I would like to represent our club at the District 80 Division U3 Humorous Speech Contest.

As usual, gungho that I am, I agreed. Gosh..... it was tough. I prepared my first speech, Dogged Determination, which my evaluator literally tore into pieces and left me confused and confounded. Fortunately, all these years my skin has grown thick and well cushioned against attacks of any kind, whether verbal or physical. Frankly, if I could survive my four years at the University of Alberta, competing with students whose mother tongue is English, I could withstand lots of setbacks. Dogged Determination emphasised more on the humour in language. Hence I decided to write on a topic that people may find easier to relate to. Something mundane... like driving.

When I first delivered "Driving Me Nuts" at the Singhealth Club, it brought the house down. The theme was "Colorful and Humorous Night of Laughter". I had to find the most colorful outfit I had in the wardrobe. Most of my clothes are in plain colours of dark blue and black. I found a blouse my eldest sister bought for me but which I hardly wore. It made me feel like Empress Dowager Wu when I wore the blouse which was in bright red and orange. I suddenly felt very shy and found protection behind the lecturn. Gradually I came out of the lecturn but had very little body language. Hence I was surprised when I won the best speaker's prize as the other speakers were very good and natural.

I presented the same speech, but this time with more body language in two more clubs but the laughter was very much subdued. On the eve I almost wanted to chicken out, giving the excuse that the ringing in my ears was getting unbearable and driving me nuts. However when I remembered that Allan Pease had mentioned that the No. 1 fear in England is Public Speaking, I decided to carry on. Also I like to keep whatever promises I have made to others.

At the contest, I prayed hard that I would not forget my lines or suddenly had a stage fright. Thank God for helping me to overcome my nervousness and each time the audience laughed, it gave me time to compose myself and think of the next paragraph!

Wow! The rest of the speakers were very good. It was indeed a humbling experience for me to win the Champion award! I must thank my Vice President, Vanessa Yong, Jerlynn and Abigail Chay. These three ladies gave me the most encouragement for the contest. Also, my thanks to my overseas buddies, James, Richard and Mo Shin, for their comments and editing of my script.

Gan Chau

1 comment:

thanh7580 said...

Congratulations on your first win Choo, I'm sure there'll be many more to come.