Saturday, September 16, 2006

Laughter or Tears ?

I attended a meeting at the Brilliant Advanced Toastmasters' Club. The members here are advanced toastmasters meaning that they have completed their first ten projects and are now embarking on their next ten advanced projects. As such, most of them are good speakers.

At the end of the meeting, we were asked to give our feedback. I told the members that this was the first time that I was made to laugh by their first speaker in his humorous speech and then made to cry by their second speaker!! The first speaker spoke about the funny aspects of language when words were wrongly used. The second speaker shared about a very sad incident when he was a policeman. (I will share his story in my next blog). Maybe I am an emotional person. Sad movies always make me cry! This is why I always have to bring a pair of dark sun glasses whenever I go to the movies in the day!

My dear readers, which is easier? Is it easier to tickle the funny bones of your readers or audience? Or do you think it is easier to make people cry over your sad narration?

Mm..... guess when Miss Abigail Chay, our popular Media Corps comedienne, comes to our club this Monday, I will also ask her the above questions.

Gan Chau

1 comment:

thanh7580 said...

I tend to find that I laugh very easily so it's definitely much easier to tickle my funny bone than make me go all teary.

Occasionally a really sad news story or movie will make me a bit teary in the eye without actually crying but I find I can crack up in a laugh instantaneously and soemtimes not be able to stop so that I end up crying hahahaha.