Sunday, March 13, 2011

The new TS-1 tablets

As one of the chemotherapy drugs is not compatible with my liver, Dr. Karmen Wong stopped the intravenous chemotherapy and is now trying TS-1, an oral chemotherapy which is supposed to be quite mild. I was supposed to take 2 tablets in the morning and 1 tablet in the evening. After taking the drugs I felt extremely sleepy and lethargic and only wanted to sleep round the clock. Instead of the side effect of diarrhoea, I actually had the opposite effect of constipation.!

At the same time, my stomach was getting bloated with water. Dr. Wong asked me to
stop the TS-1 and I was admitted to have the excess water drained out. After staying in the hospital for 4 days, I felt much better and stronger. Dr. Wong told me that the TS-1 did not cause the stomach to be bloated but it was an accumulation of water when one of the drugs did not agree with my liver.

When I came back from the hospital I was full of energy again, so much so that I practised my violin for an hour - something which I had not been able to do for a long time, as I felt weak and easily tired. It was eldest sister's birthday, and I gave sister a big ang pow to thank her for all that she had done for me, and to ask her to have a romantic lunch at Crystal Jade in Nex, with her husband, while my best friend, Geok Sim and I went to Singapura Plaza to have our own lunch and to do some shopping. In the evening, I fried a plate of Penang koay teow for Sim and taught her how to fry some Koay Teow to bring home to her mom. It was the first time that I had the energy to do some cooking!

Last night I re-started my TS-1 tablet, and this morning, I felt tired and lethargic and only thought of bed. It would not do, as I must get ready for church service by 11a.m. and I had to have the energy to take the 15 minutes walk to the church nearby with sister. After that we would have a simple lunch on the way back, and after getting some rest I would be ready to meet my niece, Ning, who is visiting me and who had just arrived from London yesterday. Ning would only be in Singapore for two and a half weeks and her schedule is very tight as usual. I want to be energetic and well to receive her.

Hence, I would not take my TS-1 tablet, and I may have to talk to Dr. Wong about
swtiching to TCM soon, as I understand there would not be so many side effects.

Wish me better and improved health!

No comments: