Saturday, October 07, 2006

Hospitality

The people in Kuching are very warm and hospitable. I hope readers will not disagree with me when I conclude that in general, most people from smaller towns and cities tend to be more hospitable than those living in busy, bustling cities like Singapore, New York, etc. It can be quite embarrassing for Singaporeans to visit Kuching or other smaller cities and enjoy the great hospitality extended by these people. Yet when these people visit Singapore, somehow, Singaporeans are so caught up with work and busy-ness, that they have little time to extend hospitality.!!

When I was a student at the University of Alberta, I was made very much at home by the warm hospitality of the Canadians. Every week, after church, we would be invited to the various homes of church members for lunch. During Christmas, they would ensure we were not left alone during this warm, festive season. It was very easy for me to adjust to life in Canada, for my parents were very hospital people too. Though Canada is physically cold, yet we feel warm by the hospitality of the Canadians. I remember once asking my French professor who invited me to her lovely home for lunch. "How do you cope, Madam, to do so many things.? You are head of the Romance Language Dept.; you have to help Professor Monod in his voluntary work at the Swiss Council, etc. and you still make time to cook such a lovely lunch for me." I remember her reply, "Oh Shoo Shoo (Choo Choo - Ch is pronounced as Sh in French) If I have guests, people are more important than things. The house and the dust can rest for a little while," the charming, elderly lady said, with a disdainful look on the floor.

Since living in Singapore for the past 23 years, I have observed that many Singaporeans always put convenience as top priority. I remember when I was teaching part time at the Regional English Language Centre. After each course ended, we would have a gathering. One or two of my students would be so inspired to show hospitality that they would invite the whole class for a farewell gathering. At one gathering, the host had catered food for 22 students in the class. Yet only 8 turned up! The rest conveniently opted out at the last minute. I could still remember the disheartened mood of the student host and his mother, who kept asking, "Any more coming?" I tried to enliven the mood, but it was an uphill task. In the end we had to packet the remaining food home. Hence whenever I promised somone I would turn up at an event, by hook or by crook, I must fulfill my promise. Since a promise had been made, it would be my top priority to fulfil the promise.

Sadly, twenty years later, this is happening again. Now, when I invite 40 guests to my home for dinner, I would only cater food for 32 people. Somehow, a handful of people would just conveniently not turn up. !!

Hospitality was a very important issue to the Jews during the time of the Lord Jesus. Hence when the host found out that the wine had run dry, there was panic.
We heard about the first miracle that Jesus performed.... turning the water into wine.

I think of the Nepalis and the Thais whom we visited during our mission trips. Although the people were poor, they would kill their chicken and their ducks for us. Their big hearts and their smiles warmed our hearts.

I also know of people living in big cities who are warm and hospitable. Some of my friends in Melbourne,Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, New York, Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, and Hong Kong, are very hospitable. Let us emulate the likes of these hospitable people .... for indeed it is a blessing to be hospitable.!! Let us walk the talk!

No comments: