Monday, October 23, 2006

Our Wonderful Government

Once I was marketing a five room HDB flat at Telok Blangah Heights. It was a beautifully renovated apartment, with a great view of the greenery from the ten panels of windows in the flat! An Indian couple with a young child liked the flat very much, but to their disappointment, they were not eligible because of ethnic restriction. For the benefit of my overseas readers, the Housing Development Board has imposed the ruling of racial quota for each block of flat. This is to ensure that in any particular block of flat, there is a good mix of Chinese, Indians, Malays and other ethnic orgins. My Chinese clients were disappointed that they could sell their flat to all other races except Indians. Initially I was disappointed too. Which agent wouldn't like to be able to sell a property to the first interested buyer who was willing to offer a good price?

However, on reflection, I am beginning to admire the wisdom of our government in Singapore. Realising that in order for racial harmony to prevail, the HDB has come up with this enthnic ruling. Although it can be quite cumbersome, nevertheless, it is for the good of the nation. I grew up in Malaysia and at the age of 12, saw my first racial riot! Suddenly, the Principal allowed us to be dismissed early from school. Many of us were very innocent, happy that we could go home early... especially me... for it meant I could go to my favourite pond to catch fish. I can still remember my father's annoyance at not finding me in school. He had come specially to fetch me home on his motorbike. His fatherly instinct knew I must have gone fishing again!

That evening, we had a curfew and there were subsequent curfews the following two weeks. Many of us could not forget the racial riot of 1965, where there was much fighting between the Chinese and Malays, and many were killed.

Recently I was in Kuching for a short vacation. My eldest sister lamented that it is now not as safe in Kuching as it was a decade ago. She marvelled at the apparent strictness in our country against crime, and felt that Malaysia should do likewise so as to deter people from committing crimes in the country. When I was in Kuching, my sister would not allow me to carry my handbag as snatch thieves were rampant!

I enjoy the peace of mind I have when moving around in Singapore. Being busy, sometimes I even walk my dog at 12 midnight or at 3.00a.m.! Even when coming back late from work or functions, I feel quite safe. Of course, I am reminded that low crime does not mean no crime....I must always be alert, especially to any would be terrrorist! It is heartening to note that since the September 11 happenings, our government has stepped up security at our ports, airport, immigration checkpoints, MRT stations and major public buildings. Hence, everybody! Let us all do our part to be alert at all times, and not just depend on the army or police force to keep law and order.

May God continue to bless our nation.!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

thanh7580 said...

The Government in Australia had the whole campaign about being aware of terrorists. The slogan was
"Be Alert, But Not Alarmed". It was a huge joke to everyone because they sent it out on fridge magnets and told people to put them on their fridge. No one knew how a fridge magnet was going to help stop terrorism.