Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Selamat Hari Raya Adil Fitri

Today is Hari Raya, the celebration by Muslims in Singapore and throughout the world.

It makes me think of the Malays in Jelutong Village, Penang where I spent the first 23 years of my life. I am the youngest and unexpected child of my parents. When I was born, many of my grandparents' Malay friends would drop by and comment, "Oh! Chuchu sangat comel" (Oh, your grandchild is so winsome!) Hence, my parents decided to call me Choo Choo since my two older sisters are called Lee Lee and Ean Ean. When I went to school, I was the butt of my classmates' jokes, because my name signifies so many things. It sounds like chuchu, the Malay word for grandchild, and my classmates would often remind me that they were my grandparents!! They would also sometimes call me Choo Choo Train!

The Malays are often very artistic and creative. They are good at arts and crafts and take pride and pleasure in doing up their houses. I love their houses which are built on stilts. The Malay kampong exudes a certain charm. Now when I go back to Penang, I would love to stroll in the kampong before the houses are razed to the ground to make way for development.

The Malay ladies wear kebayas which enhance their shapely figures. The kebaya is well known because it is worn by our SIA air hostesses as well as those from MAS. (Malaysian Airline System). Like the Chinese cheong sum, the kebaya brings out the contours of a lady's figure. Hence, one must not be too rounded so as to look good in this outfit.

I am now getting ready to visit my Malay friends who are living in Woodlands, so as to wish them joy and blessings as well as to tuck in all the nice food and delicacies!

Wishing all my Muslim readers "Selamat Hari Raya Adil Fitri". :-)

Gan Chau

1 comment:

afrobev said...

Thankyou Choo. Your blog always makes me ahppy and positive about things :) xxx