Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Precious Second Chance

Gosh! It was frightening! How could I have procrastinated so much.! After winning the Champion Award for my humorous speech, I had not even rehearsed or practised my speech again for the next contest where I had to compete with all the champions. Many of these champions are veterans and teachers of public speaking, English and phonetics! In contrast, I have been a member with my toastmasters' club for only 3 months.I was also torn between nursing my sickly pet dog to health and the speech contest. My dog had been lost for 3 days and I finally found it trapped in my luggage bag!! It was dehydrated and famished!

What a relief to find out that the above was only ......a bad dream!

I was so oo ooo ooooo relieved and started rehearsing my speech right away! 8 more days to go and I was thankful for the second chance!! Even if I do not win the contest, so long as I have sincerely practised hard I will be contented. I will do my best and leave God to do the rest.

I am thinking of my friend, Kelly, who was recently fined $2,000/- and banned from driving for 18 months. He just had a litre of Tiger Beer, and was going to park his van when a policeman asked him to take a breath test. He sadly phoned me to say that he would not be able to do his renovation works as without his van, he would not be able to transport his tools and materials. I am sure Kelly would be grateful for a second chance. For now, he had to work for a company until he gets his permit to drive reinstated.

Or think of that young doctor who has just started his medical career and is now behind bars. I am sure he would be grateful for a second chance not to have anything to do with drugs or gays.

I am sure that the IT professional from India, who was caught shoplifting would be grateful if he could have a second chance. His lawyer explained his depression and confusion of mind caused by the constant quarrels between his wife and mother.
He is a brilliant manager, drawing about S8,000 to S12,000 a month. Would his employer give him a second chance? Would his friends and relatives give him a second chance or would they sneer at him and label him a thief for life?

Or think of that lady who was jailed for one month and fined $10,000/- for maid abuse. Instead of seeking professional help for her depression and stress, she took it out on her poor Indonesian maid. Perhaps only another lady in her shoes struggling with the demands of a career and motherhood would be able to understand her plight. If only, she could turn the clock back and seek proper counselling and help.!

In the book of John Chap.8 vs, 1 - 11, the people brought a woman caught in the act of adultery before Jesus. They said, "In the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They were using this question to trap Jesus. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her". Again he stood down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straighteend up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

"No one , sir", she said.

"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin".

You can imagine the great relief this woman must have felt to be given a second chance. Especially from the perfect lamb of God, Himself!!

Hence, let us learn from this and not judge others. Let us first take out the speck of dirt in our own eyes first. Let us have a generous heart of overlooking the wrongs of others just as God has been generous to love us, imperfect as we are. Everyday, before the sun sets or before we go to bed, let our hearts be free of anger, frustration and unforgiveness, so that we can wake up the following day, refreshed, re-strengthened and recharged with new hope and courage to face another day.

When I first became a Christian, I could not understand why God wanted me to forgive others and even to love my enemies! When we do not like someone, we feel like boxing that person on the ears instead of loving him! Oh! What a tall order from God! And how humanly impossible! In Phil. 4:13, Paul the Apostle said, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. It is also interesting to note that medical research has established that when a person who is constantly angry or bears unforgiveness in his heart, he is more prone to have tumour in his body!!

Hence when the Creator asked us to forgive and be slow to anger, it is for our own good. We are doing ourselves a favour.... not our enemies. I won't feel any worse if you hate me..... you are the one in pain for you are seething with anger, hurt and frustration.

Once I was very angry with a friend and found it hard to forgive her. At a gala dinner in Kuala Lumpur, I found myself seated next to a vet who works for the Ipoh Turf Club. I asked him which animals he loves the best. "Dogs...Let's say if you lock up your pet dog and deprive it for food and water for 3 days for example. When you open the door, your dog will wag its tail, relieved and happy to see you. It will not think, "How dare you forget to feed me... I will bite you." Dogs are very forgiving and faithful." On hearing this, I was very touched and fought hard to keep my tears from oozing out. I was so ashamed of myself for being so unforgiving towards my friend. How could I let a dog be more forgiving and faithful than me.? After all, I am God's highest form of creation. Immediately I had a break through. I was able to forgive my friend and to love her once again just as I had done in the past. God knows my love for dogs and had to speak to me through the vet!

Oh! The sweetness of a second chance!

Gan Chau

No comments: