Saturday, October 28, 2006

My Beloved Cousin

Eldest sister called me from Kuala Lumpur and told me that my cousin, Suan, has requested that I stay at her lovely her home when I make a trip to Kuala Lumpur the following week. I was tickled pink when Suan asked if I am still as plump as ever! I guess, the youngest in most families usually end up the roundest as they are always pampered by their relatives with chocolates, snacks, goodies, etc.

Gosh! It has almost been 35 years since I have not met my beloved cousin. I recall
Suan with affection. She is the daughter of my uncle. Uncle is my papa's second elder brother. Suan had been staying with my family and had been belping my mom with household chores, etc. She was also the one who accompanied me to school on a rickshaw when I was in Primary One. I was extremely talkative and inquisitve and would ply Suan with endless questions along the way to school. "Why are bougainvilleas always blooming whereas other flowers are lesser in abundance? Why must I drink and bathe with clean water, when fishes are swimming in dirty ponds?"
"Aiyoh.... I have headache already.... you ask so many questions!" my cousin would complain.

I have lived in Penang for 23 years. I have travelled to 160 cities in 37 countries.. yet I have been to Kuala Lumpur only twice! Eldest Sis persuaded me to stay a couple of days more after my nephew's convocation. Mm..... I might just do that .....I realy look foward to seeing my beloved cousin and family. I am really happy for her that her children are all doing well and taking good care of her.

Gan Chau

No comments: