Friday, October 06, 2006

Kuching Revisited

When I arrived at my nephew's house in Kuching, I was disappointed to find out that his computer was not in usable condition. I had hopes of teaching my eldest sis how to email. As my sister's house is in the suburbs, it was not easy to look for an internet cafe. Hence, for eight days I had not been able to check my mails or write in my blog. Gosh! I had once been so terrified of learning the computer; now I miss it!! Frankly, without the computer, I would not have been able to write so easily and speedily.

Kuching has changed a lot since my last visit some ten years ago!! There are now many new buildings, roads, highways, etc. People in Kuching now have more spending power. I notice that there are now more restaurants and eating places which are doing well. Perhaps, with so many uncertainties and disasters now plaguing the world, the youngsters now want the most out of it, and believe in getting enjoyment. Even the older generation who used to scrimp and save, now are freer in their spending. I took the opportunity to visit a Toastmasters' Club. It was interesting to note that most of the members spoke Mandarin with a distinctive Foochow accent!

As Sarawak is situated nearer to Indonesia, the haze was quite bad. I used to look out of the bedroom windows every morning, and one morning, I realised that the thick haze had obscured my vision of one tall building located behind the houses in the vicinity! I was wondering if I could even fly back to Johore!

Fortunately I was able to fly and am now back to my usual routine of hectic living in good, old Singapore. Home always seems so much sweeter after you have been away for a week!

Gan Chau

No comments: