Thursday, March 08, 2007

Music For Life

I had emailed my article, "Language for Life" to my good friend, Sylvia, who teaches music in one of the top schools in Singapore. She replied, "Yes, Music for Life. I have a good friend who teaches Music very inspiringly and throws in all the Christian values in his teaching. When asked what he teaches, he says "I don't teach music but the Way of Life".

Sylvia continued, " So I better start Teaching Music for Life. ..Just like English Language it could be music for stress, relaxation, cure, creativity, tolerance, peace, enjoyment and even for comfort.....and guess what I play best at? At wake services! And I enjoy playing at funerals and wake services. Somehow death seems so poignant and real.... and the intensity of my playing the violin also becomes so real".

I remember a friend's daughter who was kind of coerced to play the piano. She only practised her exam pieces and nothing else!!! If one plays only for exams, in no time, the joy and excitement in music will start to wane!!

When I began to understand harmony in music and learn how to improvise, my interest in playing the piano became more enhanced. It was fun trying to play a song in different ways! My playing became more colorful as I was given free rein to my imagination and creativity. Playing by ear is so interesting and exciting!

I remember my little niece Kam Ning was so excited after her father brought her to one of his orchestral rehearsals at the People's Association. She had just started to learn the violin at 9 years old. Her father was stunned when he heard her trying to play a Vivaldi's piece by ear! Hence, the discovery of her talent!

Yes, music for life! Somehow my house cleaning becomes less of a chore, when I play my favourite CD at the same time! My cooking becomes more enjoyable as I listen to my favourite songs by the late Theresa Teng. I can kill two birds with one stone as I type on the computer and listen to strains from classical music. I enjoy it most when I drive and listen to music at the same time.

Each time I listen to music, I am grateful to God for restoring my hearing when He healed me of stone deafness 4 decades ago!! People say that it is better to be deaf than blind but I would say the world will be less colorful for me even if I could see but not hear! As Papa had always said, "Music has power!"

Gan Chau

4 comments:

jlshyang said...

Hi! I just saw your comment on one of my entries last year. Thanks for dropping by.

Oh yea, the Jelutong Village looks like where my grandparents live and it's nostalgic to me in many ways. Where exactly is the Jelutong Village in the pictures? My grandparents live in West Jelutong btw.

The Oriental Express said...

Sungai Pinang looks so much better now. You should have seen it 3 decades ago! (You were not even born yet).

By the way, you asked about East Jelutong. It is very near to West Jelutong which also has its fair share of gangsters. However, there were more Malays in East Jelutong as it is near the coast... lots of Malay fishermen.

Now Penang is developing very fast. I hardly recognise places when I go back. Would not be able to drive again on the streets in Penang.

The anonymous blogger said...

Hi Aunty Choo!

Saw your comment on my blog. Haha. Which schools would want to have me to give talks man haha. As if. Haha. =)

The Oriental Express said...

Dear Barry,

Do not forget that as top agent, I "sell" people as well as I sell properties.

I am passionate about things I am enthusiastic about. You need to let me know your available time slot in advance and I will speak to my schools at River Valley High and ACS. I am sure the students can learn a lot from you and emulate you. Learning is a lift long process so long as we always remain humble. As Emerson had said, "Everyone I meet is superior in some way; in that I learn of him".