Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Who indeed is the real idiot?

I was quite excited when my colleague told me he was going to show his client a list of properties including my corner shop unit with three apartments above.

Later when I asked him about his client's response, he blurted out, "My client is interested in the $18M building marketed by one agent. The stupid idiot refused to cobroke with me."

I raised my eyebrows. Even while I was exasperated, I was amused. Who is the real idiot in this case? To digress a little, it is redundant to use the word "stupid" for an idiot is already a stupid person. I asked my colleague why he would bring his client to view the property when he already knew about the agent's refusal to share his commission. We know that most agents would not want to cobroke for properties that are saleable.

I advised my colleague to encourage his client to put his eggs in different baskets instead of sinking all of $20M on one building. Unlike shares, it is more difficult to liquidate a property, but it would be easier if an owner has different smaller properties so that in times of need, he can just sell off one unit and keep the others. It is vital that as agents, we give our clients good advice for we are dealing with the bulk of their hard earned money.

In our line of work which is physically, mentally and emotionally taxing, it is imperative to work not only hard, but smart!

Hence, next time, before we call someone "idiot", let's examine ourselves. However, it is best not to even use the word, for it is really painful and pathetic to be born with physical and mental defects. For want of a better word, say the agent is selfish or shrewd.

Words, and only words I know.....

Gan Chau

No comments: