Friday, March 02, 2007

Why Are Singaporeans So Easily Uptight?

I had called a property agent and realised I had dialed the wrong number and hence redialed. A call came in and I apologised to the lady for the wrong number and hung up.

The phone rang again and recoginising the same voice I said, "Sorry, I had called the wrong number." To my shock, the voice screamed, "Why you hang up the phone so fast huh? Why so rude?" I was so stunned I did not know what to say, and not wanting to get into any argument or quarrel, I hung up the phone. The phone kept ringing and ringing!! I could imagine the lady fuming over the other end. Fuming over what? I had already apologised politely to her. What more did she expect me to say or do? Papa always advised us not to waste time with "Xiao ren" (little people).

Yes, little people with small hearts and minds. It is sad to note that as our country gets bigger in terms of economical growth, people are getting smaller in hearts and minds. Is it not surprising that we are perceived as one of the unhappiest people on earth? Singaporeans are known to be often murmuring, complaining and whining. We sometimes act like spoilt little brats! We blame others for mistakes. We scream when we think others have taken advantage of us. We whine when we don't get what we want.

Just the other day, I took the lift at the MRT station and was shocked at the profanities spewing out of the mouths of two ladies who were obviously colleagues. They were cursing their bosses, oblivious to being heard by other commuters! Though they were dressed immaculately, I suddenly thought that the poorly and shabbily dressed ladies I met in Nepal seemed to be more noble and elegant than them.

Look at our foreign workers.... especially those in the construction line. They laboured under the sun, sending home their hard earned money to their families in India, Thailand, China, Bangladesh, etc. Yet, look at their joy and smiles as their pick-up vehicles speed along our busy roads! Or our foreign maids who smile and seem so joyful during their off days as they congregate around Orchard Road, thankful for their hard-earned break.

Singaporeans are known to be avid travellers! Each time I return from visits to other countries, I come back more appreciative of the wonderful things we are enjoying here.

Come on, people. Let us be thankful and count our blessings and name them one by one
Let us be gracious when others make mistakes and be forgiving when others hurt us, bearing in mind that we too may unintentionally hurt others and need forgiveness too. I have often wondered why God has given us such a difficult command of forgiving and even loving our enemies. He is our Creator and knows that when we get angry and become unforgiving, it is not good for our health. Hence, it is easier for us to breathe with ease and fill our minds with peace when we let go our anger even as the sun sets in the west, so that we can welcome each day with open arms and bigger hearts and minds.

Gan Chau

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha.... that kind of woman is xiao char bor. it's difficult to live in a country almost overpopulated and probably overworked and underpaid and not be irritable and unhappy about life. singaporeans aren't that bad lah. we're actually quite nice people .

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your comments, especially after being exposed to other metropolitan cities around the globe. Singaporeans are doomed - they simply behave like barbarians. It's sad really, that their lives are so miserable. Thank God I'm migrating to a happier place :)

Anonymous said...

I think the smiles on the foreign workers is a bit of a stretch. Imagine Singapore slave drivers as master. I really wonder if they can smile. haha If they do we haven't squeezed them enough!!!!!haha

palmist

The Oriental Express said...

Dear Annonymous,

Yes, I agree with you. The majority of people in this country are nice. Many are also generous and kind hearted and rally around to help those in dire needs.

Have you noticed some of the tai tais and towkays in chauffer-driven cars? They often look so glum and depressed.

Dear Lina,

I still love and enjoy living in Singapore. I will never allow anyone or circumstances to rob me of my joy. I also recognise that there is no perfect country and my happiness has to be from within.

I ask God to give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and courage to change the things I can.

By the way, where are you migrating to?

JerL said...

Congrats! Happy to hear that this article brought your blog to be listed on Tomorrow! You'll become a famous blogger in no time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lina,

I am as well wondering which metropolitan cities you're referring to. I have been to my fair share and my life in Toronto as a student compels me to contrast between life in Canada and Singapore on an almost daily basis.

The most immediate metropolis that comes to mind is NYC and it happens to be the city that I detest the most. Being a city of transportation transit to other cities, I have on many different occasions explored on foot and those experiences have disgusted me with New Yorkers' lack of grace.

The uncaring service personnel to racists to homeless people and just the general I-have-to-be-tough outlook on life make Singaporeans look like angels.

Such is the positive contrast that Singaporeans seldom reflect on. Linda, I do hope that your new country of settlement will be to your personal disposition and thus liking.

Still, like The Oriental Express, I am curious. Which city is it?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to point this out, but you don't seem to know the meaning of the word "uptight".

"Though they were dressed immaculately, I suddenly thought that the poorly and shabbily dressed ladies I met in Nepal seemed to be more noble and elegant than them."
Why did you think so? Did the ladies in Nepal never curse?

"Look at our foreign workers.... especially those in the construction line. They laboured under the sun, sending home their hard earned money to their families in India, Thailand, China, Bangladesh, etc. Yet, look at their joy and smiles as their pick-up vehicles speed along our busy roads! Or our foreign maids who smile and seem so joyful during their off days as they congregate around Orchard Road, thankful for their hard-earned break."
You have not made a point with this paragraph. If you were contrasting if with the previous one, do please try to link your argument properly. Perhaps along the lines of "we should not be upset with the way things are, but rather be thankful for what we have in life. A good example would be the..." and carry on from there.

"Singaporeans are known to be avid travellers! Each time I return from visits to other countries, I come back more appreciative of the wonderful things we are enjoying here." This is a brilliant example of a non sequitur. You can remove the first sentence as it has no link to the second.

And at the end of the day, hanging up the phone on someone who has just asked you why you hung up so fast isn't the best way to go about avoiding a fight.

Just my 2 cents worth.