Tuesday, February 27, 2007

DWG Toastmasters' Club Contests

I could not believe I could win in our Dennis Wee Group Toastmasters' Club contests for both international speech and table topics. I had just returned from an 8 days' vacation in Penang. Though I had plenty of time, I was too lazy to write out my speech by pen as my sibling did not have a computer at home. Hence, I waited till I reached Singapore to write my speech. It was somewhat stressful because I also had work to catch up after being "laid off" for 8 days. After printing out my speech in our company, I read it a number of times and tried to remember the key points.

As for table topics, I realised I had little practice. Most of the times when I visited clubs I was either a prepared speech speaker or an evaluator. Hence I seldom participated in table topics as I felt that everyone in the meeting should participate and be given a chance to do so.

I felt that Shirley Gwee was better in her prepared speech than me and expected her to win the contest. I also felt that Lionel Ng was better than me at the table topic contest. It is really a humbling experience. Now I have to represent my club and compete with other winners at division level on 24th March.

I will fine tune my prepared speech and practise on my own at various table topics at home. So long as I have tried my best for my club, I know I have given my best even if I do not win both contests at divisional level. It is most important that I enjoy myself and keep improving all the time.

Gan Chau

4 comments:

thanh7580 said...

Congratulations Choo. Your Toastmaster thing is going from strength to strength.

The anonymous blogger said...

Aunty Choo! Congrats once again! =)

The anonymous blogger said...

Hi Aunty Choo! Nope the pandas are not real, they're soft toys. From the Yunnan trip, 5 of us formed a clique called "Pandas", because we came up with the hypothesis of how Mahjong originated!

Haha these Pandas group is now about 2 months old, and they have been one of the most important people in my life so far =)

JerL said...

I am honoured to be there to hear your winning speech and table topics. I knew you would win even before they announce the results!