Saturday, February 10, 2007

Amudah


It is amazing how God brings people into our lives. I first met Amudah (pictured above) when she came to work at Rialto which I was operating some six years ago.

Although Amu, as she likes to be called, is illiterate, she proves herself to be an excellent staff. Although initially employed as a dishwasher, she demonstrated creativity and initiative. Amu cannot read, but speaks excellent English. She works as a production staff at an electronics factory in the mornings and after taking a short rest after her factory job, she would proceed to work part time in the evenings. I never cease to be amazed by her great energy. She is a tireless worker, and does her work with pride and diligence.

Gradually I trained Amu to make pizzas, desserts like tiramisu and panacotta, and appetisers like bruschetta and Caesar's Salad. Amu committed everything to memory. She contributed many good ideas on how to save costs and improve the business.

Even at her factory, her bosses were surprised she could not read as she is a top producer. Amu shared with me an amusing incident. They were tested and asked to write their answers but Amu had to do her test orally since she could not write. Her superiors were dumbfounded, refusing to believe that she is really illiterate!!

Amu loves her family members very much and is a good aunt to all her nephews and nieces. She is always encouraging them to study hard so that they will have a bright future. She spoils them by taking them for short holidays and celebrating their birthdays.

Amu always regrets she never studied hard when she was a little girl. While all her siblings were busy doing homework, she would be hiding under the table, playing or sleeping! Despite her lack of education, Amu is loved and respected by all those who know her for she is a lady of principles and compassion.

Although Amu is no longer working with me, we remain the best of friends. I often like to take Amu to experience new things for in the past she had slogged so hard. I had taken her to visit my hometown in Penang, and my relatives immediately took a liking to her. Once eldest brother was given 3 tickets to the Chinese Orchestral concert at the Esplanade. I brought my sister and Amu along. Intially, Amu was worried she might not be able to enjoy the concert as she is not able to understand Mandarin, but I told her not to waste the S$88.00 ticket. Amu was mesmerised by all that she saw ... the grandeur of the concert hall, the awesomeness of the huge gongs and cymbals, etc. Ironically, I was the one who fell asleep and snored right through almost the whole concert!! Amu loves to share this anecdote with her friends!

I always enjoy talking to Amu. She has the same sense of humour and great capacity to forgive others. No wonder we get along so well. She taught me how to speak and sing in Tamil. I am teaching Amu to read. Indeed I have learnt many things from Amu all these years of our friendship. As we both love nature very much, chilling out for us means sitting by the river in Boat Quay or beach at Marina Bay, cracking pumpkin seeds, drinking Chinese tea and chatting till the last MRT train which we are in time to catch. Simple joy ...... great friendship!

Gan Chau

Posted by Picasa

No comments: