Friday, February 16, 2007

When Commuters Vacate Their Seats....

Yesterday, I was in the Mrt on the way to my office. Usually when I am out, I will plan my whole day itinerary, so that I do not have to come back to my apartment as this will save time. Hence, it means I often have to lug with me many things..... books, files, home prepared herbal tea, etc. On the way, I will also pick up some newspapers and this adds on to my load.

It was quite crowded in the MRT. I was standing and holding on to the railing when a gentleman stood up to give me his seat. I thanked him profusely. Suddenly it dawned upon me that of late, quite a number of commuters had actually vacated their seats for me in the bus and MRT. I was smiling as I sent short messages to my friends on my mobile. It read, "When people keep vacating their seats for me in the bus and mrt, it's a sure sign I'm growing old." One of my fellow toastmasters, Yong Ee Chuan replied, "Ha! Ha! It's a privilege of maturity! Ha! Ha!" Another ex-student, Mark Lee wrote, "It's because you're so regal looking and now you have more observation to write about!" Another toastmaster, Div. U2, Area Governor, Barry Tan responded, "Hey Aunty Choo, tat means you're getting wiser!" Yet another friend, Adrien Johns, who is always suave and witty replied, "Remain rooted in the belief that you are young and beautiful, and that these people who give up their seats are trying to woo you and get your attention!" Towards the evening my good friend, lawyer Ching Ching, called me about the completion of sale of my client's apartment and told me she laughed so hard when she received my sms.

What an interesting response! Mm.... maybe the next time, I will attempt to ask the commuters the reasons for their action. For now... let me guess at the possibilities:-

1) I look pathetic, with so many bags and things to lug around.

2) It is somewhat dangerous to do a balancing act, trying to read the New Paper and with so many bags to carry.

3) My gaze at the seated commuters look quite formidable as if I was saying, "Shame on you,
young man/lady..... you should play a part in your country by being kind to an elderly person .

4) I speak with my eyes as if saying, "Hey, you able bodied young fellows....stand up, stand up
for Singapore!"

5) Our government's Courtesy Campaign has been very successful. People are now so much more polite and considerate.

6) I am obviously elderly and in need of tender loving care at 53 years, 2 months and 4 days!!!

When I reached my office, I was beaming and smiling. When I shared with my colleague,
Sally, she laughed, "Choo, the other day I dashed across the road with you when we were trying to beat the traffic lights. I was panting like crazy and I noticed that you did not even pant. You're fitter than me even though you are 14 years older! The commuters should vacate their seats for me, not you!!



Gan Chau :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Choo

Wishing you a Happy and Prosperous Lunar New Year of the Pig! Oink Oink! :-)

Wow, next time I'd better screen my SMS before sending to you 'cos it may end up in your blog...hahhaha! Just kidding.

Looking at things from the positive side, people nowadays are a little bit more considerate and hence are willing to offer their seats. :-)

God bless.

Ee Chuan