Monday, February 12, 2007

Walking by Faith and not by Sight

"Walk by Faith and not by Sight" is the motto of the St. Nicholas School for the Blind. My elder sister taught in the school for a few years and until today, I still remember the huge banner with the motto in the school.

I guess, I was able to understand the full impact of what the motto meant just two days ago. When I went to the Hyatt Hotel to see my client, Mr. Komala, I felt great discomfort in my left eye. After the meeting, I decided to remove the contact lens. I have only been wearing contact lens in my left eye as I discover it is the best way for it helps me to see both far and near. If I were to wear lens in both eyes, I would need my reading glass. I use the daily wear contact lens. It is also more economical to wear only on the left eye.

Without my lens, I could only see objects close to me, and even then my vision was quite weak. I could do without my lens because I could hear the announcement in the MRT. It was also interesting that everybody looked good to me for I could not see details like pimples and pock marks. Everybody had such nice complexion!

I also observed that being temporarily "blind" my ears suddenly seemed to be sharper, for I could hear better!! Suddenly I heard someone calling my name. It was an old classmate from the Institute of Education! Eunice said, "Wah! Now! So proud ah! Never even acknowledge me!"I told her I could not see well without my lens and Eunice laughed when I told her about my lens problem.

It was actually quite fun to be temporarily blind. Perhaps it is sometimes wise to be "blind". Blind to the faults and weakness of others and be slow to anger. By being "blind", we learn to "see" the beauty in people and the world. By being "blind", we learn to be less complaining and appreciatve of this lovely world filled with God's wonderful creation. Some of us have eyes and ears yet we neither see nor hear!

Let us all emulate Helen Keller who is so acutely sensitve to the world around her despite being blind and deaf!

Gan Chau

No comments: