Thursday, February 01, 2007

I Was Stomped!!!

  Posted by Picasa

This Urban Jungle
Posted on 29 Jan, 2007
"Red Man. Green Man. Which one's correct?"

Kam Choo Choo, 53, who works at Park Mall, noticed on 29 Jan that the new traffic lights, installed due to the relocation of a bus stop nearby, does not synchronize with another traffic light across the road.

In her email to STOMP, she wrote, "One of my colleagues nearly got run down by a car when she crossed the road. She didn't see the red man flashing at the other end!"

She hopes to alert everyone of the problem and urges the authorities to rectify the problem quickly so that the traffic man will light simultaneously green or red. This is to prevent a fatal accident from taking place.
? Share this
Rated by 0 STOMPer(s). 338 Views


Now, before my readers' imagination goes wild, let me explain what is "stomped" in the title. Stomp is the online newspaper created by Straits Times so that more readers can contribute photos, ideas, opinions, etc. through the computer. With the advent of the computer age, the authorities were wise to come up with this means of communication so as to encourage Singaporeans to air their views, share their discoveries, etc.

I have been wanting to buy a digital camera but was afraid it would be too difficult for me to learn how to operate it. I hate to buy anything that would eventually become a white elephant. Jerlynn, my friend, lent me her digital camera when I was making a trip to Taiwan. To my surprise, I managed to use the camera and even "accidentally" took some videos! When Jerlynn showed me the video, I wanted to laugh when I saw myself shaking and dancing with the aborigines at Wulai!!

Hence, I finally decided to buy a digital camera. As I am now serving some clients from overseas, it would be a good idea for me to snap photos of properties and email to them. It is also essential for us to email photos to our company so as to advertise them for our own agents to cobroke. The salesman, Lawrence at Sim Lim Square, was very patient as he taught me how to use the camera. I also called Vanessa Yong, my colleague, to check, and Vanessa advised me to wait a little later to buy the camera. She told me to shop around but my instinct told me that the model, Casio EX-Z700 is quite a good model and is reasonably priced. I knew that if I left the shop without buying, it might take me a few more months to come back!

I told my university buddies that now that I have a digital camera, I will be a self-appointed reporter. I would always carry my camera in my bag and shoot interesting and unusual things or happenings and write about them in my blog. The first one was on the traffic lights near my office. I snapped the photo and sent it to Stomp and it was published in the "Urban Jungle" section of Stomp.

I would advise all my readers in Singapore to be alert when crossing the roads. One tourist was obviously confused by the lights, and he wanted to cross the road, only to be pulled back in time by some pedestrians!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gan Chau, great post, very relevant. Just doesn't mix well with STOMP :)

Blog on...