Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Dream Car......

I had to give up driving because of the growing imbalance and ringing in my ears. I often felt dizzy, and it would be just too dangerous to be on the road. In Singapore, the authorities take a severe stand on driving offences.

During the table topics session at a chapter meeting at Tanglin Toastmasters' Club yesterday, one of the topics was "My Dream Car...."

My dream car is one that needs no petrol, insurance and licence. The car only needs good maintenance to keep it strong and mobile. It fears no increase in petrol costs. It also does not fear increases in parking, taxi charges or public transport. Best of all, it also does not fear increases in Electronic Road Pricing!

My dream car is my closest buddy. It goes with me everywhere and anywhere. It is always so accommodating and hardly ever breaks down.

Long before all these price increases, I had already anticipated them! Hence I decided to move to the heart of the City! No not Orchard Road, as I can ill afford to sit on so much money or be indebted to a bank for years. But a small flat located within a stone's throw from the Little India mrt. Since my office is only 15 minutes away from my home, I am able to use my dream car almost faithfully whenever I go to the office. It is more refreshing than taking the jam packed train or bus! I have also been able to use my car to show clients when they want to view the nearby properties for sale or rent. Now that the government has doubled the price of Electronic Road Pricing at many parts of Singapore, it is only logical that I should use my dream car to save costs!

In fact, it would appear to me that no amount of electronic road pricing will truly decrease road congestion. Those who drive real cars have a tendency to be lazier than those who drive dream cars. Hence, instead of increasing fees for entering the city, the Government should consider declaring Saturday and Sunday evenings, "A national jog time". Residents will take either one of the two evenings to use their dream cars. It will become so habitual that soon, people will not be easily deterred having to drive just two mrt stops.!

My dream car also has no fear of the hot sun which will blaze mercilessly and keep hot air trapped inside the vehicle. My dream car will always enjoy the fresh air. It certainly helps to save the world as there is no air conditioning. It uses an umbrella to protect itself from the blazing sun.

Many people have this dream car.....only that they have sometimes forgotten to use it. Of course, when I have to travel longer distances, I will let my car rest, and take the train or bus.

My dream car (kar) has the lovely number of 11...my favourite number for it suggests balance, team work, strength and sturdiness. Strangely, the more you use it, the stronger it becomes! It certainly helps to beat inflation!




You have guessed the answer! Hail to the Number 11 Car (kar).!

Gan Chau

No comments: