Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Inconsiderate Commuters

 
Posted by Picasa

The sign on the mrt train which also comes in pictures. Some commuters choose to be ignorant!

I wonder if life in Singapore is becoming so stressful that commuters would just choose not to be able to see or to read. Worse, they close their eyes in deep slumber! (Wonder how anyone can really fall into deep sleep with so much movement around him?)

In the past, I had witnessed many times how expectant mothers and very elderly commuters would be left standing to balance themselves and hang on to the railings during their entire journey. I would just glare and fume at the guilty passengers seated comfortably and nonchalantly in their seats. Recently I had been more courageous. I would tap the seated commuters on their shoulders and ask them to vacate their seats. Some quickly got up; while one had glared back angrily at me even as he got up! I was ready with summoning my "qi" should he decide to land a punch on me.! But thank God no punch had landed on me yet. I guess being a lady helps! :-)

I would appeal to all commuters that if you are very tired, try not to occupy these seats because the chances are that you would surely close your eyes and sleep. Try to get a seat in the middle so that you would not be guilty of depriving someone who needs it more than you.

Our mrt trains are getting more and more packed throughout the day. A little consideration from everyone will help to make our journeys more safe and pleasant.

Gan Chau

No comments: