Thursday, June 19, 2008

Delicious and Cheap! Fried Hokkien Mee!

 

 
Posted by Picasa


One of my favourite dishes is Fried Hokkien Noodles. It is usually not oily and although the dish is quite easy to cook, nevertheless, it is not that simple to acquire just the right taste and texture. Hence I am quite fastidous when it comes to choosing the stalls that cook the way that great Hokkien Noodles should taste.

I am quite (ahem) good at whipping up a delicious plate of Fried Hokkien Noodles. Once I cooked it for our missionaries who were then stationed in Kathmandu. Each of them had four plates!! I could not find the usual yellow noodles in Nepal. Hence being the innovative cook, I used spaghetti instead.

One of my favourite Hokkien Noodles stall is thankfully located near my apartment. The stall is called Cai Yuan Mei Shi and the chef is the owner himself, a cheerful and amiable gentleman by the name of Mr. Leng. It used to be at Tekka Market Food Centre, but now that the market is undergoing renovation, it is temporarily located at Race Course Road. The stall unit number is #01-369.

The noodles are cooked just right - not too hard or soggy, and the ingredients are quite generously given...prawns, squid, chye sim and fish cake. The chilli is also nicely cooked with the owner's secret recipe.

If you happen to be shopping around Tekka Market, do drop by and try the Fried Hokkien Noodles. You will not be disappointed. The hardworking owner works seven days a week. He only closes the stall when he has an important errand too run.!

Gan Chau


No comments: